Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have recently applied for a CRI Certificate, the ATO form for which details the hours flown, and hours groundschool, and is signed by both the ATO Head of Training and the Examiner.

Despite this, I am informed by Licensing that I must send my logbook to them since "...we will need to see the training you have completed for the Flight Instructor rating in your current logbook for the issuance of the rating".

There is no logic in this at all - apart from the duplication of information, if I was bent, I could write whatever I wanted in my logbook, yet the ATO and Examiner have both signed to independently confirm for what I actually did.
By Dave W
I've just had to do this again, for the third time in 18 months.

It makes me extremely nervous every time (even having copied the logbook pages) given the risk of postal loss/cost of courier delivery. What is the point? The accompanying form is signed by the Head of Training and explicitly describes the detail of training undertaken in order to meet the course requirements.

What value is the logbook - or even a copy of the logbook - adding? Absolutely none, so far as I can see.

Surely this one is an easy win?
By Keef
The last time I sent my logbook to the CAA (last century), they went through ticking every entry that was valid to see if I had the hours for whatever rating it was. They decided to disallow one flight, so I was 10 minutes short of the hours needed...

Whether they still do that, I dunno.
By Dave W
Was that for a Rating where the necessary hours needed to be identified on the application form? Or perhaps a Rating for which pre-course experience was required?

In the former case, surely the form details signed by HoT is definitive since, as I mentioned in the OP, I can write anything in my logbook - even errors.

In the latter case, the training organisation should have the formal responsibility to check (as should the individual). If the training is completed.
By Keef
That was my IMC Rating, all signed off as OK by the head of training - a former CAA staff bloke, ex-RAF, highly regarded etc etc. The CAA decided that a 2-hour IFR airways flight with me as PUT wasn't valid. The HoT said "Not worth arguing, let's go and do an NDB approach for ten minutes".