Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
Hey all, sorry to dig this topic back up once again (for the millionth time, I'm sure you're all tired of this) but struggling with the interpretation of privileges for a restricted FI and googling hasn't really helped.

FCL.910 states:
"(a) An FI shall have his/her privileges limited to conducting flight instruction under the supervision of
an FI for the same category of aircraft nominated by the ATO for this purpose, in the following cases:
(1) for the issue of the PPL, SPL, BPL and LAPL;"

That suggests yes, I can do training for licence holders as it's not instructing for the issue of a licence and there's nothing about revalidations however, when we come to part 3:

"(3) for class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, except for single-pilot high
performance complex aeroplanes, class and group extensions in the case of balloons and class
extensions in the case of sailplanes;"

The bit I'm struggling with is what scope of instruction does part 3 of FCL.910.a actually include? Just initial issue or does it cover all training towards a SE class rating? I've tried asking my FIC instructor but yet to get back to me. At least to me, it's too ambiguous...

Given the general recommendation (at least from a couple of years ago) seems to be to get a CRI issued alongside your FI(R) but when I tried to, the CAA promptly shot it down and responded a CRI-SEP cannot be issued on the basis of a FI.

As for why I'm asking, a fellow syndicate member is struggling to find an instructor/examiner to reval (not renewal) their SEP and given I was granted FCL.945 privileges, I'm curious if I could do it.

Maybe someone could clarify for me?

Thank you!
As I can't give difinitive responses to the main part of your query, I won't add any mud to the water.

However, a PPL/FI(A) colleague of mine did the FI course and applied for FI and CRI 'ratings' on the back of that FI course. CAA issued both without question.

Would seem stupid ( :? ) that the 30 hour FI course wouldn't exceed the requirements for the CRI at the same time.

PS - if you ever get an answer from CAA on a question of this sort I'll be mighty impressed.
You’re reading it the wrong way round - the Restriction is about needing to be supervised, not what instruction you can deliver. Just get whoever is supervising you normally to agree your syndicate flights and crack on.