Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
New consultation from the CAA:
https://consultations.caa.co.uk/ga/uk-g ... fter-easa/
CAP1985

This consultation is an opportunity for you to help achieve our ambition of making the UK the best place in the world for general aviation. Successfully delivering our objectives will only be possible if we work collaboratively

The CAA would therefore like to understand:

• how we can help the GA community (and its associated businesses and industries) flourish after leaving EASA, whilst identifying its specific priorities;

• how we can engage with and work more efficiently, constructively and collaboratively with GA communities in delivering our objectives;

• the priorities of those who are not part of the GA community when considering the future of General Aviation in the UK

So what new and old ideas should be added into this consultation?
Would a coordinated response with the various organisations be useful or should we just all respond individually?

Is this consultation 6 months too late to get anything done before the end of the year?
By johnm
EASA types is shorthand for ICAO certificated aircraft which like ICAO licenced pilots can fly freely across planet Earth, so no kindly do not eliminate the concept. By all means let those with restricted licences fly them in the UK.
By Irv Lee
MachFlyer wrote:Let “National” licenses fly EASA types G-reg?

100% but I fear one or two fanatical easaphiles have already been working behind the unnecessary but convenient secrecy blanket to try to ensure there are no or very few benefits like that. We should be seeing all inputs to this matter so far to see who is pushing for what, but I suspect it would be too embarrassing for some involved if we could.
The fcl base to start on, to develop further from, should not be the fcl regulations of 31/12/2020, it should be those existing at 2300 on Jan 31st 2020. At that moment we left the EU and had no further influence or vote in Easa matters, and anything imposed or changed after that date should not be considered to be within the base regulations that we are working.
There is a big problem with the caa survey if they start without first restoring national licences' privileges – the survey will be answered by a majority of pilots holding FCL licences, so would see no PERSONAL benefit from any change, and probably not a thought for, or not even realising, the predicament of the minority who have been excluded from certain aircraft since April 8th by having national licences. On the other hand, starting from a base of when we detached from Easa, who on earth would suggest that national licences should be banned from aircraft that the holders could fly back on that date?
Stampe, Stu B liked this
Irv Lee wrote:There is a big problem with the caa survey if they start without first restoring national licences' privileges – the survey will be answered by a majority of pilots holding FCL licences, so would see no PERSONAL benefit from any change, and probably not a thought for, or not even realising, the predicament of the minority who have been excluded from certain aircraft since April 8th by having national licences.

I think you're overstressing that. As the holder of EASA licences I would encourage the CAA to allow NPPL SSEA holders to fly C of A aircraft, I would also like to see the NPPL to LAPL route opened up again & I think most PPL holders would think the same. I accept that it may not happen on Jan 1st but I'm prepared to believe Nick when he says it's in the works. Maybe we will find out on the 26th.
johnm liked this
By johnm
From 1 Jan there is no difference between NPPL and LAPL is there?? Both confine holders to the UK unless a deal is done with EASA.
By Rjk983
johnm wrote:From 1 Jan there is no difference between NPPL and LAPL is there?? Both confine holders to the UK unless a deal is done with EASA.

From 1st Jan LAPL holders can still fly all G Reg aircraft, but NPPL are still prevented from flying G Reg EASA types.
By Irv Lee
johnm wrote:From 1 Jan there is no difference between NPPL and LAPL is there??.

You are making the same assumption that many national licence holders will make, but apparently nothing changes. If national privileges are not to be restored through an exemption process on Jan 1st,they ought to have made that very clear before now, rather than cover it all up. It also needs major policy statement that the default position assumed for a no-comment on the matter in the survey will be national privileges restored to what they were, not what they were reduced to after we left the EU without UK input.
Time for Red Tape Challenge 2? The first was severely blunted at the time as it could not touch anything "Easa", the sharpened second pass is long overdue.
By johnm
I can't understand the difficulty I must admit, it ought to be just the stroke of a pen to determine the privileges of a NPPL and a UK only LAPL surely?

My EASA PPL is about to become a UK PPL but still ICAO compliant so carries global privileges but only in a G Reg aircraft.

Maintenance is following EASA Part ML AMP which has taken a while to row back from Part M but many of the issues with that were gold plating by CAA and maintenance shops who were edgy about visits from CAA surveyors, so that risk is still with us and the appeal process has gone :-(
By Paul_Sengupta
johnm wrote:I can't understand the difficulty I must admit, it ought to be just the stroke of a pen to determine the privileges of a NPPL and a UK only LAPL surely?

You'd think so, but the issue is, I think, that they want to keep the licences aligned in hope of some sort of mutual agreement and acceptance. The UK say they'll accept EU licences but the EU haven't reciprocated.
By johnm
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
johnm wrote:I can't understand the difficulty I must admit, it ought to be just the stroke of a pen to determine the privileges of a NPPL and a UK only LAPL surely?

You'd think so, but the issue is, I think, that they want to keep the licences aligned in hope of some sort of mutual agreement and acceptance. The UK say they'll accept EU licences but the EU haven't reciprocated.

For PPL holders it's automatic, so I assume this means that an EASA LAPL holder can fly in the UK. To reciprocate EASA would need more than 27 countries to agree a unique arrangement and it's not clear what incentive there might be in any of those countries to be blunt.