Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
NPPL(A) SSEA was accepted in France & Ireland (with an ICAO medical) before EASA put a stop to it. More importantly, the NPPL was the inspiration for the Leisure Pilot's Licence that became the LAPL. UK LAPL holders can change to a PPL if they wish to fly outside the UK, & the UK gets to decide what the upgrade criteria are.

The DfT & CAA now have the opportunity once again to allow NPPL pilots to apply for a UK LAPL(A) thus restoring the micro to PPL(A) with SEP route.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s academic for me really, as if I can’t keep my PPL I shall hang up my headset but surely an NPPL SSEA with a medical is essentially a LAPL?
By Irv Lee
johnm wrote: surely an NPPL SSEA with a medical is essentially a LAPL?
If you have PPL you can fly anywhere in a Reg 21 aeroplane

I wish someone had convinced Easa of that about the ssea, then someone I know with an nppl-ssea obtained in the past couple of years wouldn't have had to pay for and complete a whole ab initio Lapl course to continue flying his easa permit aircraft after last April.
When you say "PPL", do you mean UK CAA PPL and do you mean now? If so, why does Skyway code say not?
By johnm
I started flying aged 52 and took a JAR PPL which in due course became an EASA PPL to which I added night IMCR and IR because my only interest in flying is as a mode of transport.

I’m on G Reg so hopefully the demise of our EASA membership won’t have any impact on me, I’m just curious about the sub ICAO situation which I find difficult to follow.
By Paul_Sengupta
Irv Lee wrote:UK PPLs were first reduced to the LAPL privileges in EASA aircraft including in the UK a few years ago, (2015?.. hard to remember now), and then the allowance to use them at all in EASA aircraft in the UK expired April 8th 2020.

And that's not to mention the completely illogical situation mentioned above about having no upgrade paths for people who can already fly aeroplanes, whether it be using sub-ICAO licences or foreign licences.

And this was all during the time we were told that EASA were trying to be more GA friendly, under new management and that good things were on the horizon.

Now they will stop UK LAPLs flying in the EU. They'll stop UK Part-FCL PPLs and LAPLs from flying non G-reg EASA aeroplanes.

johnm wrote:I’m just curious about the sub ICAO situation which I find difficult to follow.

It's not just sub-ICAO though, EASA has (probably illegally) beaten down the privileges of the full ICAO PPL.
By johnm
The UK along with all other EASA states is a member of ICAO, EASA isn't because the EU isn't a state. It follows that EASA has to achieve a consensus across the whole population.

There is a logic in the European structure; EASA licence to fly EASA aeroplane, it's very simple in principle.

Non-EASA aeroplanes and national licences are of no interest at EASA level and are a matter for national authorities and they can do their own thing and choose to recognise each other or not as they see fit. The old UK PPL is a very grey area in EASAland. In theory it should be possible to fly a G Reg on it but as as a holder could easily have a JAR or EASA licence on the back of it AIUI I'm not sure why it would be an issue.....

As I said I understand the simple logic and that's how I have been equipped, EASA licence EASA aeroplane, other aspects leave me puzzled and curious.....
By Irv Lee
riverrock wrote:New consultation from the CAA:
https://consultations.caa.co.uk/ga/uk-g ... fter-easa/
CAP1985

So what new and old ideas should be added into this consultation?
Would a coordinated response with the various organisations be useful or should we just all respond individually?

Final day today!
For heavens sake don't assume all the organisations represent your views!