Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For posterity (!), this is a link back to Forum info that the CAA have now changed their policy and stated formally that certified colour copies are required for GA applications (From 14 May 2018).
flybymike wrote:I think that if they send the black and white one back and say they want another one in colour, then they have shown you in writing where it says they require it! :wink:

Yes, they have shown it in writing, but only after they rejected the application, without informing applicants in advance of the requirement - at best disingenuous, at worst incompetent to apply a "rule", then inform stakeholders some 3 weeks later...

This just in:
CAA SkyWise 2018/75 wrote:Pilots are required to submit certified copies of their ID (such as passport or driving licence) for certain Flight Crew Licensing applications.
For security and fraud prevention reasons, the UK CAA is no longer able to accept black and white copies of ID documents.
Any applications submitted on or after 14 May 2018 which require ID documents to be submitted, will be rejected if the ID documents are not in colour, leading to a delay in your application.
The ID document must also be certified. Please refer to our website for more information on who can certify your documents.
[My emphasis.]

Which is the same GA page I referenced above, with the addition of "colour" but no mention of what has changed or when...

So presumably the OP's application will be processed without further delay, and licence issued with an apology?

P

PS I'm not even sure "For security and fraud prevention reasons" is within EASA law - so a true example of Gold Plate?

PPS Mods - worth a reference in GA? this affects all licensing applications that require ID.
By Dave W
There is a thread in GA already - linked from post above.

I do not think the CAA have covered themselves in glory on this one - not by a long chalk.

What a shame, given the positive effects only recently from the GA Unit and the Red Tape Challenge. :(
Europaul383 liked this
By rikur_
You have to question if someone has actually thought through the process and requirement.

I thought the point of certified copies was that you're relying on the person doing the certification to check, therefore you don't need a good copy of the document yourself.

Most of Government and big businesses are moving to electronic forms of identity verification - or at a minimum upload a photograph of your passport for digital processing - I regularly get ID checks as part of applying for contracts, and I can't recall anyone requesting a colour certified copy of my passport (I have had to upload a colour photo of it, but that didn't need to be certified)

Seems to be equivalent of inventing an whiz-wheel app as a way of using technology for navigation.
Dave W liked this
By Dave W
rikur_ wrote:I thought the point of certified copies was that you're relying on the person doing the certification to check, therefore you don't need a good copy of the document yourself.

By Irv Lee
Ring ring
"Hello?"
"Have you had your licence application made before mid May returned due to lack of colour photo copy? You could be entitled to PPI compensation for the delay and stress - Platinum Plating Irritation should not go uncompensated"
Europaul383, Dave W, flybymike and 2 others liked this
By Irv Lee
I am still feeling happy that I put a whole tenner on there having being a recent easa audit and this is the result. A tenner- that is twice my normal 5 pence stake!
Presumably they couldn't find anything dodgy so we have to suffer this as they couldn't go home without one "finding" to justify the audit trip expense under the self delusion that anyone in the EU cares how much they waste.
By johnm
Presumably they couldn't find anything dodgy so we have to suffer this as they couldn't go home without one "finding" to justify the audit trip expense under the illusion that anyone in the EU cares how much they waste.

You could insert any similar auditing activity and CAA was one of the worst, many ISO 9000 audits were similarly irritating and probably still are!