Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By chevvron
A Class 3 medical for an ATCO over the age of 70 lasts for 12 months, but a FISO medical over the age of 70 (also valid for driving HGV's!) only lasts for 6 months - why?
I would have thought it more important to check on an over 70 ATCO more frequently than an over 70 FISO.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You’re doing it again aren’t you, trying to apply logic and common sense to regulation :roll: :lol:
By Irv Lee
I have another medical question maybe someone knows the background and therefore the answer. Why can't an easa ppl be used with a lapl medical in non easa aircraft in the UK (according to cap1441) when you can use a self declare medical in that case?
By Talkdownman
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:The question should be why a FISO Needs a medical

FISOs are permitted to pass instructions on the ground such as "park next to the Cessna". We wouldn't want a FISO keeling over in the middle of such an important instruction, would we... :twisted:
By mikehallam
BTW.

UK PPL self dec. medicals last 2 years.

I'm grateful to be English, with our CAA still looking after us - rather than the Eu "master rule makers" and those nit-picking overpaid EASA beurocrats !

mike hallam
By flybymike
[UK PPL self dec. medicals last 2 years.

I thought they lasted indefinitely up to age 70, and then subject to redeclaration every three years thereafter.
By mikehallam
yes Mike,

You're perfectly right, I just looked at my file copy and it's a generous three years. That's pretty good and takes me through to 82 !
Plus, today's news & depending which way you are inclined, Mrs May has either won a great victory or sold us down the river.

After too many years of sinking slowly & uncontrollably, but never-the-less inexorably into the suffocating Eu marsh (like the dinosaurs etc.) I'll be able to breathe free English (or should I be p.c. and say "British") air.

mike hallam.
By flybymike
You're perfectly right, I just looked at my file copy and it's a generous three years. That's pretty good and takes me through to 82 !

To infinity and beyond....... :thumright:
By Bobcro
The self declaration used to last 2 years but is now no longer valid after April 2018 if you want to fly EASA Annex 2 aircraft such as the one I own. So as its a no fly day I met a very charming AME had chat, took my BP, I looked at the chart gave him a few ££ and as I told him he certified me fit to fly for 2 more years. All of course a complete waste of time and money. But do make sure that you are legal as you cannot hide from the CAA.
By Rob P
Two years?

Wait until you are over 50 Bob and it goes down to one year. :shock:

Rob P
By Rob P
How can anyone follow all this cr*p? :wall:

Thanks Frank

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rob P wrote:How can anyone follow all this cr*p? :wall:

Thanks Frank

Rob P

If you have an EASA medical - look on the paper chit.

If you don't have one but would like to know, look it up or ask here.