Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
RAF Pershore disused is on track from home to the strip where I keep my aircraft and it continually gripes me to have to avoid overflying it and taking a wide berth.
I fail to understand why the restrictions apply H24 365 days p.a. In the days of the Throckmorton Airshow, I used to assist in preparing the airside for the show, to the extent of even introducing near full size ICAO standard runway marking on the thresholds of Rwys 03/21. This labour of love would take a number of days back in May leading up to the June shows.
One got to know the comings and goings of the various companies operating there. Malvern Optical the laser manufacturer; DSTL and their scientific testing and General Dynamics, who have since left the site.
It was also blatantly obvious that many pilots of both fixed wing and rotary craft seemed to totally ignore the airspace exclusions as well, some would even orbit to check out the newly applies show markings!
Like many disused airfields, it has become a storage site for the motor industry, which no doubt contributes to QinetiQ's coffers.
At one stage, a site manager informed me that the laser had only been tested on a solitary occasion over a number of months and I only saw the tell tale blue and white cones positioned on a solitary occasion.
I used to be an Operations Manager at one of our larger international airports and it was our responsibility to publish Notams as and when required.
So, why the permanent restrictions at Pershore when perhaps the use of the laser and HIRTA trials could, and I think should, be the subject of Notams instead?
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So, why the permanent restrictions at Pershore when perhaps the use of the laser and HIRTA trials could, and I think should, be the subject of Notams instead?

I see no permanent 'restriction' in the sense you can still fly through it?

But as for activation by NOTAM it may be worth raising this to the CAA.
All I can find in the AIP are 2 x HIRTA 1nm radius from sfc to alt 6,000ft and sfc - unl. If the radhaz is anything like my local one, Oakhanger, people fly through it without hesitation so it's really up to you if you decide to do likewise.
Having said that, there is also a HIRTA notified for Herstmontceaux Castle in Sussex, but that is now a school, the Royal Greenwich Observatory having vacated it some years ago, so maybe you should check with the CAA whether the notifications for Pershore are still valid especially as you are aware some of the activity has ceased.
Yes, perhaps the CAA ought to review this and other airspace and the need for the equipment operators to issue Notams as and when activated.
I will never just 'fly through' as I am aware of a fast jet doing this on one of the few occasions that the laser was in use and the consequences allegedly nearly ended up in the pilot ejecting.
Sharpshotg wrote:Yes, perhaps the CAA ought to review this and other airspace and the need for the equipment operators to issue Notams as and when activated.
I will never just 'fly through' as I am aware of a fast jet doing this on one of the few occasions that the laser was in use and the consequences allegedly nearly ended up in the pilot ejecting.

Once a notification such as this has been entered in the AIP, it stays there until the editors are told to remove it so I suspect no-one has told them that the hazardous activity at Pershore has ceased.
I remember years ago, after Wisley closed, there was notification of a ballon or kite being flown there at up to 500ft agl. It wasn't until after I flew over there several times in the late '70s and could see nothing of it that my bosses at Farnborough made enquiries and discovered that it had been flown by a private company researching acid rain and had only flown for a few weeks, but the company had omitted to inform AIS that the activity had ceased.
OK there was another balloon there in about '86, but this was connected with the WW2 film 'Hope and Glory' and it was only given CAA permission for a limited period so it never made the AIP.
So if there's something notified in the AIP which affects you but you're positive it no longer exists, please tell AIS.
On further reflection, it beats me why we have to give Cardington a wide berth.
On a good day, the hangar/shed is visible from miles away, let alone the Airlander.
And seeing as the latter looks like being an insurance write off and presumably no further
activity for months to come......
Sharpshotg wrote:On further reflection, it beats me why we have to give Cardington a wide berth.
On a good day, the hangar/shed is visible from miles away, let alone the Airlander.
And seeing as the latter looks like being an insurance write off and presumably no further
activity for months to come......

Cardington DA was established due to a cable hazard. They often flew tethered ballons up to about FL100 using a thin steel cable not unlike glider launch cables but with standard markings at intervals on the cable, so even if you didn't see anything on the ground, did you try looking up?
Don't forget, even the slightest wind would mean the balloon wouldn't be directly over the airship sheds.
The Cardington DA was never anything to do with our Airlander operations. As Chevron has described, it is for the Met' Office who use balloons and recently drones on the site. They did occasionally have Apaches visiting, never quite sure why but some old armoured fighting vehicles disappeared from the Met' Office site then the Apache visits stopped.
Good to have a better appreciation of Cardington, so thank you!
During Gulf War 1 a tethered Comms balloon was located high above Pershore and could be seen from a fair distance during daylight hours from ground level.
....and it was promulgated by Notam!
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:Having said that, there is also a HIRTA notified for Herstmontceaux Castle in Sussex, but that is now a school, the Royal Greenwich Observatory having vacated it some years ago.

There is a automatic met weather balloon launching station just outside the village, so it may be a reasonable idea to give it a bit of a miss.

G-JWTP
G-JWTP wrote:
chevvron wrote:Having said that, there is also a HIRTA notified for Herstmontceaux Castle in Sussex, but that is now a school, the Royal Greenwich Observatory having vacated it some years ago.

There is a automatic met weather balloon launching station just outside the village, so it may be a reasonable idea to give it a bit of a miss.

G-JWTP

I think the HIRTA was for a high powered laser which as far as I'm aware no longer operates from the site.
Met balloons carrying small instrument packages aka radiosondes don't normally rate any airspace restriction and I believe all the launch sites including that one are notified in the AIP anyway.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.