Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Starchild
When you want to change your address with the CAA you need to complete form SRG2156 you then have to take documentation to be 'certified' by

•the Head of training at your approved training organisation
•the holder of the registration at a registered training facility, or
•a UK-approved Examiner

So my question is why?

If I change my address on my driving license I don't have to go back to a driving school and get them to 'rubber stamp' documents to prove I have really moved.

If this was designed to cut out fraud or error I'm sure that a risk based approach would be far better than the current draconian methodology imposed.

Paul
By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There have been several threads about this in the past.

I have tried 3 times to change my address using different forms over 3 years, but given up now. The people being asked to certify my forms have no idea where I live.

Fortunately I do .
By Starchild
Surely if it's good enough for the DVLA it should be good enough for the CAA?

Now here's a though why not just add an extra category to the driving license that covers each type of flying licence and get the DVLA to administer and save more money for the public purse?
By flybymike
I never bothered formally notifying a change of address, but at some point after I moved house the CAA must have twigged, probably via the address on my medical certificate, because all subsequent documentation from them was correctly addressed.
By cotterpot
Yes I forgot - I got my AME to change it on line but still didn't get a licence reissued with the correct address.
/Shrugs shoulders/
By Starchild
I've also just renewed my medical online using the new process (different address) I await to see what comes through the post if anything.

If they send anything to my old address the redirection order ran out over six months ago.

If they send something through to my new address and I receive it, then that should be proof enough that I do live here !!

I need to get out and fly more :P :P
By Paul_Sengupta
I've got one licence with my parents' address in Wales and one with my address in Guildford. :clown:

No idea where the CAA actually think I live. Doesn't matter, either address will do.
By JonathanB
It's madness. To change my ATCO licence it was just a quick form to send in, but that wasn't good enough for the Flight Crew licence for which I went through the above palaver - they couldn't even take it from my ATCO licence details! :roll:
By Bathman
Had a licence to certify correct. Given licence and driving licence to Sign.

Err Blogs u don't live there?

Yes that's correct that's my parents address where I used to live (and they still do).

Haven't you told the DVLA?

Yes and I have a new driving licence with my new address on it. But I've kept my old arriving licence to show people like you as it keeps the CAA happy. I did try and change my address with the CAA but it was too much hassle and this is much easier.

At times I just give up.
By Starchild
It worries me more that the CAA might be sending me important stuff out about my license, that I am not getting.

When you go to a local flying school and explain that you don't want to go flying or pay for any of their services other than to look at my utility bills and sign a form you can hear the sighs of resignation miles away.
By Dave W
Starchild wrote:It worries me more that the CAA might be sending me important stuff out about my license, that I am not getting.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

I've had a lot fewer than half a dozen unsolicited licensing letters from the CAA over the last 20-something years, the last one of which said "There's loads of important stuff coming along re EASA licensing but we won't be going out of our way to tell you. Keep your ears open."

I paraphrase.
By bookworm
Starchild wrote:When you want to change your address with the CAA you need to complete form SRG2156 you then have to take documentation to be 'certified' by

•the Head of training at your approved training organisation
•the holder of the registration at a registered training facility, or
•a UK-approved Examiner

So my question is why?

See recommendation 22 of the interim report. (Not specifically about change of address)

When copies of some documents are submitted in support of licence applications, the CAA requires
that the copy be “certified” as a true copy of the original. For example, the licence application page
submitted to support a conversion of a licence to an EASA Part‐FCL licence must be certified by “the
Head of Training”. It is unclear who, for many pilots who have held licences for years, “the Head of
Training” might refer to, and the requirement has apparently been relaxed to allow the certification
to be carried out by “a UK examiner”.

The entire process is only necessary because the CAA has not, historically, recorded the revalidation
forms sent to it in a database or equivalent log, and so requires the ratings page in order to know
which valid ratings the pilot holds. This shift of administrative burden from the CAA to the user might
itself be questioned, though when licensing processes are fully digitised, the point becomes moot as
the page will no longer be required. While those processes are developed though, the ratings page is
the only way that the CAA can verify the ratings claimed by the pilot.

Putting aside the issue that “Heads of Training” and examiners are not trained to identify forged
documents, the “certification” process might at first sight appear a sensible precaution. But the
fallacy is that for “certification” to have authentication value, the certified version must have greater
trustworthiness to the ultimate user of the certified document (the CAA) than the document being
certified. Typically, this is because the certifier is known and trusted by the ultimate user, while the
document being certified is not.

In this case, the document being certified bears the signature of an examiner confirming that a rating
has been revalidated, and the certifying signature is also a signature of an examiner, in many cases
the very same signature. If the CAA trusts one signature, why should not trust the other? Or
conversely, if a pilot is prepared to risk the consequences in criminal law of falsifying the ratings page,
why would they not simply forge the certifying signature?

Recommendation 22: the CAA should cease its practice of requiring certified version of
documents submitted in support of licence applications.

IIRC the CAA response was that it remained convinced that this reduced forgery. We've seen a change of personnel since then. Perhaps time to review this?
By riverrock
I suggest the hassle of this currently means that a good proportion of address data in their system will be inconsistent at best. My plan was to get my address changed next time I get a new rating.
I haven't in a year.
Medical address is right but licence isn't. It's my only document with the wrong address.
100poundburger liked this
By MercianMarcus
bookworm wrote:...
IIRC the CAA response was that it remained convinced that this reduced forgery. ...

It is almost as if the word "buffoons" was invented with the CAA in mind.
100poundburger liked this