Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By loopylune
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ok I learn from the recent livestream I have to change my non expiring EASA PPL, to a UK PPL correct?
I have the original non expiring PPL (A) in its pristine brown cover still in my possession, I suppose to think that I can just revert back to that would be too simple for the CAA I'm sure.
I'm a Cessna driver (I think now called part 21) with a class 2 medical.
Surely I can use my old originally issued brown license and my class 2 to fly into Europe when permitted.
Can someone explain to me what "non expiring "means, I thought it meant what it said on the tin?
If you have a UK-issued Part-FCL PPL, there is NO immediate need to convert it to a UK Part-FCL PPL.

Anyone who adds a rating to their pre-2021 UK-issued EASA PPL, changes their address or whatever, will receive a UK Part-FCL from the CAA. But there is NO requirement for others to do so at the moment.

The CAA has advised me (this morning), that any date by which conversion of a UK-issued pre-2021 Part-FCL PPL to a UK Part-FCL PPL will be announced in good time.

I repeat, there is NO IMMEDIATE NEED to convert your Part-FCL licence and it remains as valid now as it was in 2020!!

The recent CAA announcement ONLY affects pilots who SOLI'd and now hold a foreign-issued Part-FCL licence.
nickwilcock wrote:The recent CAA announcement ONLY affects pilots who SOLI'd and now hold a foreign-issued Part-FCL licence.

And what about Pilots who kept their lifetime UK CAA licence when they were also issued with an UK EASA one in 2012, and did SOLI the UK EASA one to another NAA?
1. The national UK PPL remains valid, but use of it to fly Part-21 aircraft is as limited by the 16th June 2021 amendment to the UK Aircrew Regulation.

2. To regain full Part-FCL PPL privileges, those who SOLI'd will need to apply for re-issue of a UK Part-FCL PPL.
All applications for the conversion of an EU licence (i.e. a foreign-issued EASA Part-FCL licence) to a UK Part-FCL licence must be submitted by 31 December 2022. No consideration will be given to any application submitted beyond this deadline.

The UK CAA recommends that applications are submitted at the pilot’s earliest convenience to reduce the risk of any potential interruption to privilege or ability to operate a UK registered aircraft from 1 January 2023.
Any reason other than huge difference in fees for why caa policy is that a uk national ppl holder who has previously SOLI'd a UK easa away to another State shouldn't convert the national licence to a UK fcl ppl and not use the return process?
@loopylune if you ask about/discuss your 'Easa' licence it is really important you say which State issued it. If it was a UK easa licence, best call it a UK fcl licence now, whilst saying 'UK Easa' will be understood, if you only say Easa licence, it might be misunderstood and confusion will ensue
User avatar
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think that @loopylune was just referring to the good old CAA poo-brown licence.

I still have my poo-brown licence, issued by the CAA in 1996. What can I now do with it ?

Iceman 8)
Well, ridiculously, depends on the aircraft, even with an icao compliant class 2 medical, never mind the ratings. At its best, non part 21 g reg aircraft, fill your boots, worldwide. Part21 aircraft, limited to the sort of aircraft and pob similar to the ones a lapl pilot would fly
Iceman liked this
Mine simply says:-
'The holder of this licence is entitled to exercise its privleges either as pilot in command or as co-pilot of aeroplanes specified below:
Landplanes Group A
Self Launching Motor Gliders

and on the other side it says'
'Group A Single engined landplanes of which the maximum total weight authorised does not exceed 5,700 kg'
Dated 23-11-76