Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By Forfoxake
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
How about this in another Flyer forum thread:

Re: EASA SEP revalidation North of England#1869093
By MJIM - Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:36 pm
Hi all,

I thought I post an update for anyone in the same boat.

I flew with @TwinPiston last week at Teeside (who I couldn't recommend highly enough).

I emailed the DGAC this morning with a copy of my logbook and medical and @TwinPiston licence and medical. I got a reply about an hour later to say my new licence was in the post and there was no fee to pay.

If only the UK CAA could offer a service that was somewhere even close to this!

Thanks again for all the replies to my thread
Flyin'Dutch', Stampe, G-BLEW liked this
By StratoTramp
rf3flyer wrote:How can this be? Isn't the UK the best place in the world for GA? :?

Im not sure why but this dead pan response made me laugh so much after the war and peace first post :lol: :lol: :lol:
By BobM
Still waiting for my CRI, applied for in June. A friend is still waiting for his examiners renewal from 6 weeks ago., hopefully senior CAA management will sort FCL out soon. They appear to be totally under crewed and many experienced members have gone :-(
By Flyingfemme
I have now and it’s pretty damning. Sounds like the CAA’s planning for their systems requirements are going badly wrong at the analysis stage. To design a good system, your systems analysis needs to be solution independant. Theirs appears to be affectedby a rash of paper pushers adding pointless “requirements” and the solution is a dog’s breakfast.
If the CAA really needs to know all this stuff about “their” pilots, it has to be correct. But do they actually need to know when everyone’s rating expires? And do they need reconfirmation (with proof) of your life story every time you communicate.
johnm liked this
By johnm
@Flyingfemme is right, their systems analysis and design is lamentable. Happy to go and mentor their IT department, no charge, put it down to enlightened self interest. :D
By johnm
Irv Lee wrote:Very bad start, confidence waning @johnm,.... you think they have an IT dept! :roll:

The might be lying.........

Corporate Services

Teams include; Finance, HR, Communications, Legal, Estates, Internal Compliance & Security, IT and the UK Airprox Board

That group is headed by one Julie Bryer who is on Linked In....
By VRB_20kt
I think that before doing systems analysis on the current Dog’s Dinner of licensing time would be well spent creating a single simple sub-ICAO licence with a clear path both up and down to the ICAO one.

The trouble with the current “system“ is the huge number of edge cases. Work to reduce the number of those would pay handsomely.
By GrahamB
VRB_20kt wrote:I think that before doing systems analysis on the current Dog’s Dinner of licensing time would be well spent creating a single simple sub-ICAO licence with a clear path both up and down to the ICAO one.

The trouble with the current “system“ is the huge number of edge cases. Work to reduce the number of those would pay handsomely.

It’s not just the sub-ICAO licences that need simplifying. There is no longer any case for having separate Part FCL and non-Part FCL ICAO level licences.

Sort all that lot out before going anywhere near trying to automate it.
By Irv Lee
@johnm in the noughties, I was invited along with various other pilots to a day of CAA presentations . At 0930 start we were encouraged to have another cup of coffee as the projection system wasnt working. Very worried looks on stage as so many had given up a day. I offered to have a look, refused as Ms I.T had just tottered in on stilettos, immaculate make up, hair, pencil thin business suit, and she examined the set up, rebooted, etc Not really anything like the IT expert portrayed by Hollywood... probably never eaten doughnuts judging by looks.
More coffee, mutterings growing, no fix, I wandered over and noticed projection hardware was laptop linked to strange "home made" black box linked to projector. Looking at side of black box, I could see laptop was plugged into socket marked output, projector plugged into socket marked input. I asked them to swap them round. The screen lit up and the applause hid the noise of stilettos moving fast through the exit door.
johnm, townleyc liked this
By skydriller
GrahamB wrote:It’s not just the sub-ICAO licences that need simplifying. There is no longer any case for having separate Part FCL and non-Part FCL ICAO level licences.

I de believe that for the last couple of years since we knew that the UK was leaving EASA I have regularly suggested one very simple solution to the licensing mess. There we are:
skydriller wrote:But so much of this licencing discussion could go away if the CAA/Dft at the very least made UK (ex-EASA) FCL PPL = UK (original) ICAO PPL. Additionally it would help if UK LAPL = UK NPPL ?

Then there would be 1× "full" PPL & 1× "Sub ICAO" PPL

Apparently its not within the gift of the CAA to give, but Dft.

Regards, SD..