Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
By PaulB
flybymike wrote:I suggest that virtually no one would state their height immediately before leaving an ATZ.

At a busy fly in sometimes you can’t even say good bye....

The other part of this is "saying hello" as we arrive.

I guess the majority (all?) of us would be in two way comms with a ground station before we entered the ATZ, and if on a local would also call up before re-entering the ATZ on re-join?

(I know some peeps are non-radio but the rule 11 stuff excludes them.)
By defcribed
Can anyone provide any evidence that a FISO service at an airfield like Barton is in any way 'better' than just having A/G radio?

Seems to me that it just means much more radio chit-chat and thus decreases capacity. Plenty of times at FISO fields I've been at the hold and ready to slot into a nice big gap but cannot because the FISO is busy talking (largely unnecessarily) to someone else.

What's wrong with just having A/G radio (which may or may not be answered) or Tower?

What does the intermediate service actually add?
flybymike wrote:What’s been said on here so far would seem to be enough to deter many pilots from visiting.

Bonn Hangelar Airport (EDKB) got a similar reputation because they had a pedant who would record the aircraft position in the circuit. If you didn't follow the circuit to within 150 metres, if you exceeded this tolerance from the prescribed circuit, you were taken to court.....

..... until somebody realised that there was a perfectly legitimate excuse which could be used to avoid sanctions...
Birds.... there is a significant colony of large birds nesting in the area. The excuse for not sticking exactly to the circuit was:

'Sorry, for reasons of safety I had to avoid a bird hence extended the xxxx leg.....'
flybymike liked this