Use this forum to flag up examples of red tape and gold plate
Until recently it was possible to go NPPL(Microlight) to NPPL(SSEA) to PPL (SEP) and upwards if required.

As we stand today the NPPL(Microlight) or NPPL(SSEA) holder now has to do the whole PPL or LAPL course from scratch. There is no excemption.

Interestingly the FAA will except certain microlight hours towards a PPL and also towards a CPL.

It doesn't really make sense and on the grounds that such an upgrade path was allowed until April 2018 I can't see much safety case.

This change is also hitting the UK GA industry as people are going to America to upgrade their licence.
:cry: Sadly this sums up the process thinking of the Authorities with regard this issue.

Typically - lets make it as complicated as possible ......... "for god sake don't promote GA Aviation"

Flying a 3 axis microlight isn't any different than the basic fundamentals of flying a heavier SLA or GA Light Aircraft is it ? The larger heavier types of GA airframe may have increased instrumentation and avionics and a few handling traits - but they can be learnt.

Why we can't be like the US and be sensible about upgrading licences (i.e UK NPPL(M) to LAPL/PPL) beggars belief. If it was okay all the way up to Mid 2018 why does it need to change anyway .... surely not more EASA bu....it . :evil:
Last edited by Ikarus on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would be a shame to prevent progression from NPPL(M) to other/higher licenses without the expense of starting again with a new license from scratch.

I'm guessing that many pilots, including those who are now professional pilots, started out with NPPL(M) as it provided a less expensive entry to flying.

It would be interesting to know if work or discussions are underway to explore how this might be solved.
This issue has directly affected me as a microlight instructor. I've lost students, some quite a few hours into training, because they can no longer go this route.
As I understand it the NPPL(m) can be extended to an NPPL(ssea) but no further, and this restricts flying to non-easa aircraft.
It would be interesting to know if work or discussions are underway to explore how this might be solved.

If the EC accepts Opinion 08/2017 with the revised terms of Article 4(7) proposed by EASA, you can rest assured that AOPA will be pressing the CAA to adopt this as a solution for you.

I have no idea as to the timescale though - the problem being that the amended EASA Basic Regulation has changed a number of previous paragraphs, so a comprehensive editorial review of various amendment proposals for the Aircrew Regulation is now needed.
If the EC accepts Opinion 08/2017 with the revised terms of Article 4(7) proposed by EASA, you can rest assured that AOPA will be pressing the CAA to adopt this as a solution for you.

I have no idea as to the timescale though - the problem being that the amended EASA Basic Regulation has changed a number of previous paragraphs, so a comprehensive editorial review of various amendment proposals for the Aircrew Regulation is now needed.

Many thanks for this information and update, it's good to know that this is on the radar of folks that are in a position to raise issues such as these for the consideration of those that set policy.