Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello all,
I realise this probably crops up with alarming monotony (and apologies for not helping) but here's an excerpt from the most recent (August 2015) consolidated RotA + SERA + exemptions document[1]:

As we all know, 'night' in SERA-land (and ICAO I think?) is end-of-civil-evening-twilight to start-of-civil-morning-twilight but allowance is made to define this nationally. In the UK night was SS+30 to SR-30.

Has SERA now superseded this? Is the black-on-white text (SERA) here authoritative or is it the black-on-yellow (ANO) text? Why bother printing both definitions in this document?

Confusedly yours,
M

[1] http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... geid=16635
Schedule 1 of the Air Navigation Order 2016 contains this definition:
“Night” means the time from half an hour after sunset until half an hour before sunrise (both times inclusive), sunset and sunrise being determined at surface level;
ICAO Annex 6 contains this definition:
Night. The hours between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight or such other period between sunset and sunrise, as may be prescribed by the appropriate authority.
It might not be listed as an ICAO difference because of the ‘or’ in the ICAO definition (‘or such other period between sunset and sunrise, as may be prescribed by the appropriate authority’). I use WTF (Wings Taking Flight) for help with regulations, it’s a good app for this.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
pilot101486 wrote:I use WTF (Wings Taking Flight) for help with regulations, it’s a good app for this.

Are you connected with WTF in any way? (An unfortunate TLA, BTW).

From looking at the website there seems to be an awful lot of people involved for such a flimsy offering, and it’s very coy about what the various levels of membership cost.
I’ve only used the app, not the website and from the app I’ve been quite impressed with how many people are involved and the support that you get. I’ve never personally used the website so I took your comments on board and had a look at it; I would be interested to know what you thought was flimsy about it (feel free to PM me, this might be off topic for this thread).