Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Halcyon
Hi Cookie,

I have read your informative article on the new self declaration medical requirements, but note there is no mention of multi engine aeroplanes.

I have EASA PPL with SEP, MEP and IRR ratings and an old CAA poo brown licence ( see earlier posts in this thread). I have a lapl medical certificate. I understand I can now use my IRR in the UK. My question is can I now use my MEP rating in the UK on the basis of my lapl medical and when it expires do I need a new one or could I self certify?

Any opinion appreciated!
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have read your informative article on the new self declaration medical requirements, but note there is no mention of multi engine aeroplanes.

If it's a non-EASA aircraft then you can exercise those privileges in accordance with the new ANO. However, for an EASA aircraft you are only allowed to operate in accordance with the current derogation from EASA Aircrew Regulation which allows you to exercise LAPL privileges in an EASA aircraft with a national licence until 08th April 2018.

Since you cannot add a MEP class rating to a LAPL(A), then you would not be permitted to exercise MEP privileges in an EASA aircraft using a licence validated with a self-declaration.

I have EASA PPL with SEP, MEP and IRR ratings and an old CAA poo brown licence ( see earlier posts in this thread). I have a lapl medical certificate.

EASA regulation currently does not allow you to validate an EASA PPL with a LAPL medical (MED.A.030). In the future this may be possible - see EASA NPA 2014-29(A) for proposed changes. With that combination of licence/medical, you therefore have privileges in accordance with ANO 2016 the same as national licence holders described above. I will try and update Coaching Scheme Leaflet 3.12 in the next few days.

I understand I can now use my IRR in the UK.

The same applies to exercising the privileges of a IR(R) as per the answer to your question above, since a IR(R) cannot be added to an EASA LAPL.

HTH

Cookie
By Halcyon
Thanks for those comments. Sorry, but I'm still confused.

The table in the LAA article and the text appears to say that as I have an EASA Full PPL that I can use a medical declaration to validate it. As I have a LAPL medical I don't need to do that. The text says on restriction of priveleges ,VMC unless exercising the IMC rating priveleges. So can I still not use my IMC rating after all that? So with any self declaration would I just effectively be validating a LAPL licence priveleges even though I have a full EASA PPL?

Sorry about my confusion, I thought I could grasp complex information, but obviously not!

So I still can't fly IMC or Multi and the new self declaration medical has not really advanced my particular problem at all? Too many questions I know. Nearing my limit on patience with the whole situation!

Can you have one more go to get it into my head please.
By Irv Lee
The way I see it, and convince myself about it, is based on stepping back from the detail first:
1) the CAA used to be able to decide who can fly uk aircraft in uk airspace... So if they said a library ticket was good enough, it was. (They didn't though)
2) EASA came along, and in principal the CAA role in (1) was limited to non-EASA aircraft and non EASA licences, but there is a bridging period allowing some flexibility apparently ending in April 2018. Part of the bridging agreement seems to be that anyone allowed to fly in the UK without a "proper" fully armed EASA licence with EASA medical equivalent or better can still fly EASA aircraft up to April 2018 providing they don't exceed things a lapl pilot can do (but they may be restricted from even lapl like flying... Eg an nppl ssea cannot do as much as a lapl pilot)
3) the CAA has decided, in relation to g reg non EASA aircraft, that all sorts of licences and self declaration medicals can fly them in uk airspace, including an EASA ppl, Sep rating, and a uk declaration medical. Because of that, this combination is also allowed to fly EASA aircraft too in the uk until the bridging period ends.... providing they don't do anything in EASA aircraft that exceeds what a lapl pilot can do. But because the medical is less than ICAO standard, stay in the uk.
So for example... EASA ppl, Sep, instructor certificate, I/r, Mep rating, self declare medical, EASA aircraft... No instructing even with an FI or CRI rating... Because a lapl can't instruct. Go ifr in that combination? No, because you can't on a lapl. Go multi? No, because a lapl can't, etc etc. Switch back to a class two EASA medical from the uk declaration, and suddenly everything switches back on again, as it is a proper fully EASA licence/rating/medical combination again.
By kanga
Cookie wrote:..
Since you cannot add a MEP class rating to a LAPL(A), then you would not be permitted to exercise MEP privileges in an EASA aircraft using a licence validated with a self-declaration...

Are there any Annex II MEPs ? :)

[I guess the Vulcan on a CAA Permit was an Annex II MEJ ..]
By Cookie
CAA guidance and forms now online here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/P ... te-pilots/

CAP 1441 has a summary of permitted licence/medical combinations together with associated privileges.

Which type of medical certificate or declaration can I use for my licence?

Cookie
My current understanding is that a holder of an EU Part-FCL PPL(A) licence that wants to fly a UK based G-reg aircraft that has an EASA CofA, one still needs a Class II medical and cannot use a medical self-declaration form for UK solo flight. The temporary exemption is only applicable to holders of a UK national licence (ignoring LAPL licences). Correct?

I appreciate that an a/c with an EASA CofA is subject to EU rules. More to the point though, if it was a non-EASA aircraft, I wouldn't need to renew my Class II.

Are either of these factors impacted by the type of medical I have? Can someone help me understand why an a/c with an EASA CofA is any different to an a/c with a non-EASA from the perspective of being fit to fly?
Flying Spirits - I am in a similar position to you.

I have an NPPL (SSEA and SLMG) which is current and a JAR PPL (SEP and TMG) which is now not valid (ratings lapsed).

I am asking the same question. Up to April 2018 I can fly as self declared NPPL in an EASA aircraft and then from May 2018 I will be unable to do exactly the same thing............

I am really hoping that someone will decide that we get an extension beyond 2018 (ideally open ended), otherwise I'm going to have to go and get a class 2 medical and then get my JAR PPL ratings revalidated, or downgrade to an LAPL - or just fly Annex II on my NPPL.

This is a bit of a pain since 90% of my flying is currently on EASA Motorgliders (very few motorgliders are on Annex II). And all as a result of a simple political paperwork exercise...............

Hmmmm

Arc
Flying_john liked this