Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I had a ‘confused of Popham’ email today.... the pilot didn’t realise the end of 2022 date is for UK issued licences that were moved to another State... UK licences with ‘easa’ written on them are not what this ‘end of 2022’ thing is about. If your licence ‘number’ begins GBR you are fine.
So from the time of your posting, you didn’t email me, so that is two in 3 hours I think. Which rumour mill did you get it from?
@ Irv Lee

I was looking at the CAA web page " uk-eu-transition". I may be misinterpreting the page. I assumed that a UK issued EASA FCL LAPL (in 2017) was an EASA document and therefore requires changing to a UK document by the end of the year. My licence number starts with GBR. Good news if it does not require updating.
It would help if the CAA web site was more clear.
I have sent an email to the CAA to clarify the situation. I received a holding email saying the normal reponse time is 10 working days but at present it may be upto 4 weeks. I can not help but think that if they provided clear information on their web site, they might be able to use their manhours more productively than answering questions because of self induced ambiguity.
If you are an AOPA (UK) member, you should have received the April 2022 issue of the magazine which explained things. Here is the relevant extract:

Pilots holding a UK-issued EASA Part-FCL licence. Relax! You do NOT need to convert your licence to a UK Part-FCL licence at the current time. All pilot licences issued by the UK, when we were still a member of EASA, are deemed to be UK Part-FCL licences and there is no need to convert them. You can if you really want to; also if you have to send your UK-issued licence to the CAA to have a new item included, it will in any case come back in UK Part-FCL format. Otherwise, if there is a future CAA requirement for you to convert to a UK Part-FCL licence, the CAA will give ample warning; however, no such proposal currently exists.
100poundburger liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The problem with emailing in is you have to be careful with terms and words used - you almost have to know the answer in the first place to use the right phrases. Also they have been emailing out some completely wrong answers recently anyway (not about this),
However .... Maybe this will help, (or not):
If you look at your licence it will say European Union on page 1 and will say Easa form 141 at the bottom of mini pages.. The CAA issued cap2086 to explain to anyone interested that you can ignore those phrases on UK issued licences .
On page 1 of the licence document:
“EUROPEAN UNION” no longer applies to licences issued by the United Kingdom.
“EASA Form 141” is the equivalent to “CAA Form 141” under the Aviation Safety (Amendment etc) (EU Exit)
Regulations 2019.
100poundburger liked this
nickwilcock wrote:If you are an AOPA (UK) member, you should have received the April 2022 issue of the magazine which explained things. Here is the relevant extract:

Pilots holding a UK-issued EASA Part-FCL licence. Relax! ..

:thumright:

A fine example to me of why the Association(s) deserve the support with at least member subs of (all ?) GA pilots. The greater their income the better they can do detailed homework and dissemination, as well as clarificatory intervention, on behalf of all (members or not). It is why I still belong to both AOPA and LAA ~5 years after hanging up my headset, despite my ~50 years' flying having been arguably typical of the current membership of neither.

[The magazines, of course, are a bonus]
100poundburger, Smaragd liked this