Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By CAllen
I am almost at the end of my PPL training, however I had to move back to Norway last summer. My original plan was to finish off my training in England and then convert it to an EASA license.

The problem here is that the conversion process is not as straight forward as I had initially thought, and after several conversations with the Norwegian CAA the conversion process was not an option as I would need a minimum of 100 hours, and would have to sit some exams and do a new skills test.

I then challenged the Norwegian CAA to see what, if any of the training I had done so far could be used to finish my training in Norway and go for an EASA license.

Interestingly enough since I passed all my theory exams a couple of weeks before Brexit, they still class that as being under EASA rules and are therefore allowed to be used here in Norway, however they first claimed that I would still have to go through a complete flying course of 45 hours.

This made no sense to me so I challenged this and was asked to send over the details of my flight training, which I have done showing all the exercises that I have completed, which is basically all of them except for my QXC. I have also included my potential new school and chief instructor in these conversations with the Norwegian CAA, and although we have not received a green light yet from them, the hope is that it shouldn't be a problem since the program from the school in England is basically identical to the Norwegian one.

Would be great to hear from anyone else who has been through or is going through the same process in other EASA countries.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
CAllen wrote:
> Interestingly enough since I passed all my theory exams a couple of weeks before
> Brexit, they still class that as being under EASA rules and are therefore allowed
> to be used here in Norway,

I think you should be able to claim training up to 31st dec 2020.
I seem to recall that each state may differ in what it allows after that date up until the end of last year even, but dont hold me to that.