Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By adamkpplir
I am currently a CRI and have really enjoyed the variety of instruction that I’ve been able to get through the club I am a member of.

I think the inevitable is going to happen at some point, and I will undertake the FI course. One reason for this post is a question, which is if I am already a CRI, would I still have to do the pre-entry flight test for the FI course?

The second reason for this post concerns my theoretical knowledge predicament, which is that I currently don’t have CPL/ATPL theory under my belt. I know that if I still went ahead and did the FI course, my instruction would be limited to LAPL only, and I would initially be a restricted FI. Am I realistically wasting my time doing the FI course without the CPL/ATPL theoretical knowledge given what I would be limited to be able to teach? I don’t know what the stats are of people these days who would actively choose to go for the LAPL as opposed to the PPL. It is something I will ask our CFI about but I wondered what the general picture/opinion was on this.

The usual thing….sorry if this has already been covered…..
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm in a similar position, and every time I've looked at it, doing the FI without the CPL theory adds virtually nothing since most students who CAN get a Class 2 do the PPL course, thus there are only a handful of LAPL students to teach. The cost of doing the CPL theory will probably not be recouped in the years I have left as a pilot even if flying "full time" as an instructor.
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You will need to do the pre-entry test as it’s required prior to starting an FI course. However, don’t think of it as a test, it really is just to ensure your flying is to a certain standard but more importantly is you have spare mental capacity whilst flying as this is what the instructor has to work with. As a CRI you shouldn’t have any major difficulties in this.

On mine a few weeks ago the Instructor asked me to talk through some manoeuvres as I flew them. Whilst flying along we also talked about various things. Basically ensuring I wasn’t maxed out just flying the aeroplane and to see how much spare mental capacity was available.

I’m finding my flying is being deconstructed and reconstructed all over again, basic attitude flying is the name of the game. Right back to basics. Over the years I have got into bad habits of chasing the needle…. Went out on a trip to Oban yesterday and definitely feel the benefits of the course in my own flying techniques already. Practiced effects of controls part one on the way up and part two on the way back. Anyway, we still haven’t ended a sorties with a normal landing. Some flapless. Mostly glide approaches from 2,000 AAL, PFLs have always been one of my areas requiring improvement. The course is teaching me great techniques in judgement of glide approaches!

I can’t really answer the question with regards CPL theory as I went down the theory route a few years ago. LAPL/PPL courses broke into geographical regions? Maybe an idea for a FOI to the CAA or these figures are already? Have a chat with your CFI, etc. I believe in the club I’m a member of most are working towards the PPL.

You will have 25 hours credit for the teaching and element theory part of the FI course as you hold a CRI already.
Last edited by WelshRichy on Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By MattL
No credit for being a CRI for pre entry as far as I know

To be honest, if thinking of doing the FI just buckle in and get the exams done. You can do it without, but you will just get messed around with bookings and work in a school as a LAPL only in many respects.
By TLRippon
I have been working for two and a half years as a LAPL instructor and have had a reasonable amount of abinitio students. COVID skewed the figures a bit but I had seven pass their tests since we came back.
However, since Brexit the number of new students, especially the younger ones who want to go flying in Europe, are now going for the PPl. But we still have a steady stream of new LAPL students coming through mainly the 45-55 generation who just want to fly for the fun of flying. Let’s face it, if you are not going to go commercial then a LAPL is fine to get you started and you can always upgrade to ppl afterwards.
Trouble is, the attitude of the flying school towards LAPL is the confounding factor of whether you are going to get any business as an FI.
I’m currently working through the CPL exams, six passed and seven to go. But it’s taken the best part of nine months to get this far and to be honest there is no guarantee I’ll do any better as an ppl instructor. I’m studying at a five day a week groundschool and instructing at the weekend so not really any time to develop many new students. I’m getting booked up with trial lessons and supplying a stream of new customers for the other instructors during the week, which is fair enough while I study but it’s a hell of a commitment.
By TLRippon
Just to add, 50% of my work comes from my CRI but I also added the night instruction restriction removal and became a ground examiner so I could invigilate exams and it helps with delivering ground schools. The more you can do the more work you will get.
By NDB_hold
Don’t forget you can self study for the CPL exams if you only want them for a FI. I had to do battle with the CAA to allow me to book exams (as the system demands you have an ATO) but with help from Nick Wilcock I won in the end.
Haven’t yet raised the funds for the FI course, though…