Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Kawaiuk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sent off Licence to have the addition of SSEA attached having completed all the additional trg and exams NAV and GST etc ,

Can I Fly pending the return of the licence?
IF not and this takes a while, is this not a significant safety issue in regard to currency especially when associated with flying a new type ?
Yes I understand I can still fly microlights however I think this decreases the currency for the new type ie Sportcruiser vs C42 and the relevant change of controls.

Best case scenario how long will i have to wait? the CAA just informed me that it will take 11 working days before they really look at it and a further week to process it if everything is OK so realistically 4 weeks at best.

Sent to the LAA Wednesday 30/03/22 next day delivery so ill update here when the Licence arrives back with me from the CAA will at least give people in the same position an idea of the timescales.

Any thought on this ??
If you've never suffered a 4 week break due to weather or aircraft tech issues, you've been amazingly lucky.

If you've just converted from M to SSEA, you've hardly done any hours on the SSEA type anyway, but there's no reason why you can't fly it with another pilot while you wait for paperwork.

You really are worrying about a non- existant problem, just go fly the M.
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Kawaiuk
Not after your GST you cant, or that would be the obvious answer. So the licence left me on the 30-3-22 to the LAA LAA to CAA 7-4-22 they have quoted me 12 working days so ill expect the licence back sometime before the end of the month.
By Paul_Sengupta
Kawaiuk wrote:
> Not after your GST you cant

You can. For a brief period of time a few years back the CAA put something out to say you couldn't, but the forumati quickly debunked that and the CAA retracted their "advice" I believe.
By Kawaiuk
I did ask the question to the person I spoke to on the phone and their reply was that I could not fly the with the SSEA privileges until my licence was returned to me with the endorsement. If you can highlight where this has been debunked that would be great .... as of today 20th April I'm still waiting ? from what they said i'll not expect it to be returned much before the end of the month.
By Paul_Sengupta
Kawaiuk wrote:
> I did ask the question to the person I spoke to on the phone and their
> reply was that I could not fly the with the SSEA privileges until my
> licence was returned to me with the endorsement.

It depends on the question you ask. Flying as a solo student on your instructor's licence isn't the same as exercising the privileges of your SSEA...

Sorry, since the forum search thing doesn't seem to be working at the moment I can't find the thread at the moment.
JAFO liked this
By Irv Lee
One problem seems to be they either know little of grass roots flying, nppl, etc or have very little sympathy for it, (HOW long to restore ssea to lapl bridge - even by test - and still counting?) and they appear not to think of them when legislating to provide 'relief' generally.
If you were adding an sep to an fcl ppl-tmg, or multi enginr to a ppl sep , you would be given an 8 week temporary certificate at the start. But the form is for fcl licences only. Unfortunately you are doing something very similar for an nppl.
If you want to fly (solo, authorised by an fi) whilst waiting for an fcl ppl initial issue, then you can according to https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/ ... kill-test/
By Kawaiuk
Thank you, ..... I called the other day just to check on progress. I think that was a mistake, the lady who answered was unsure and asked a question of the technical department who it would seem were less sure than the lady!!! Anyways to cut to the chase she explains as my licence was issued by the BMAA they were responsible for the reissue with the associated rating attached ...... The plot thickens Im hoping that soon someone who knows what they are doing will eventually take control and issue and post back to me an NPPLA with SSEA, Microlight and RT Privileges attached .... Soon ish .... :shock:
By Irv Lee
[usermention=25918]@Kawaiuk[/usermention] I would be very surprised if the BMAA were involved in adding an ssea, and much less surprised if CAA were wrong in their advice to you.
Where did you send the form to add the ssea rating? I would have thought it would be sent to the LAA, they would then check/approve, and they would forward to CAA to reprint with an ssea in it.
I just checked. The form to ADD an ssea is here http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence ... _forms.php and the ssea form says send to LAA. I would start by calling them and tracking it via them, assuming that is where it was sent.
By Kawaiuk
Well, here we go with the latest..... called last Thursday 28th April and was told everything is ready you just need to pay and that should be it. When were they going to tell me I needed to pay? why didn't they use the Payment information on the SSEA application form? So pay I did including the additional £15 for special delivery, I kind of expected it back yesterday or perhaps today ..... Yes, you are correct it didn't arrive! So I called, yes you guessed it, "it will be another 10 days before we get a look at it now that it's paid for"..... sent on the 30th of March to LAA and is still with the CAA today who I have now lost total confidence with.