Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Kawaiuk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just a Quick Question, I will be upgrading my NPPLM to SEP"A" very soon and hope to have a G registered 600kg Permit Aircraft very Soon also. The Aircraft is LAA and cant be under the Microlight 600kg catagory.

I have had a trip planned for the last couple of years but due to the ....... Pandemic, been unable to go
Where can I Fly
France ??
Germany ??
Austria ??
Italy ??

Thank you for your Answers in Advance
By Irv Lee
I suspect you mean nppl-ssea.... Do you? (It matters big time)
If nppl-ssea: Depends on the aircraft. Some permits can go to France despite pilot having less than icao level licence/medical, but other than that, UK,,Ch-Is, IoM unless specific permission granted.
LAA say this for France: http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2021/News/Overflight%20of%20France%20by%20visiting%20National%20UK%20PtF%20Aircraft.odf
And for Ch Is, see 6 on http://www.cicz.co.uk/faq.php
By Irv Lee
One solution is far simpler in theory than talking to anyone outside the UK.
For nearly sixteen years (mid 2002 to April 7th, 2018), the nppl-ssea was issued to pilots, and these pilots are allowed to progress to a full ppl with defined and accepted top up training and test. Similar pilots, obtaining nppl-ssea from April 8th 2018, are not. Just remove the post 2018 restriction. The later pilots are not even allowed to progress to a National full ppl which would be very useful to some.
There might be a case for a theoretical argument that nppl-ssea obtained since Sept 17th 2012 (start of Easa, now CAA, control and audit) should be 'better' than those before, otherwise why all the upheaval and expense for training schools? So if there were to be political prejudice against some nppl-ssea holders and not against others purely on an invented date, they are not even logical about which date or which side of that date to favour. Consistency in their political control would have been to make all nppl-ssea obtained convertible to ppl if obtained from courses starting since 17/09/2012 onwards (ie right up to now and beyond). (Not that i would think that excluding pre 2012 was right or fair, such conversions should be on demonstrated skill and knowledge, but i would be able to see the politicians had a thought-path rather than just inventing illogical random irrelevant rules)
It makes no sense at all, and was pure politics, that the route nppl-ssea to ppl was cut. It could be restored and should be restored. Having no upgrade makes even less sense now, as all nppl ssea can fly lapl-like in the UK, so extend that to lapl-like upgrades to ppl
B1engineer liked this
By UncleT
cotterpot wrote:And to get a UK SEP you will need a class 2 medical?
A PMD won't be enough I suspect.
My UK PPL SEP was downgraded to an SSEA when I changed my address as I only had an LAPL medical.

I would be very interested to hear more about this. I expect to be submitting a change of address shortly for my UK PPL (brown, pre-JAR, issued in 1998) once I pass the proficiency check for renewal of my SEP rating and was under the impression that I would need a Class 2 medical only if I wanted to convert my licence to the latest FCL version; otherwise, being able to continue to fly with a changed address on my older UK PPL with an LAPL medical or self-declaration. I will, I understand, be limited to LAPL privileges on Type 21 aircraft on the older UK PPL anyway, so why would a Class 2 medical be required just to change the address?
By UncleT
I don't want to convert, which is why I haven't bothered with renewing my Class 2 medical (currently on LAPL medical as in second year after Class 2 was issued and that's what happens with the validity at my age).

The comment from Cotterpot appeared to suggest that I may have difficulty changing the address on my existing licence without a current Class 2 medical, hence my curiosity and desire to know more.

(Note: meant to type Part 21 and not Type 21 in earlier post).
By Irv Lee
@cotterpot complain, they have tried this with others and doesn't stand up to appeals/complaints. Unless of course an ssea suits you...eg what you fly you do plus 2 years to do the hours
cotterpot liked this
By UncleT
(With apologies for the thread hijack...)

Related to the address change and medical question, can I get the address changed on my "lifetime" valid FRTOL, issued in 1998, without now being required to provide proof of passing an English Language Proficiency Test?
By UncleT
I told my examiner prior to a recently scheduled licence proficiency check, which ultimately didn't go ahead due to weather, that I wanted him to certify my English language abilities at the same time as my flying skills, because I thought I would need that for the FRTOL address change and reissue (based on other threads I've seen on these forums and have read elsewhere). The examiner didn't seem sure whether I need it or not, but I'll ask for it when a rescheduled proficiency check does take place, just in case.
By Irv Lee
Wow, if you deserve a normal English sign off and have a prof check, it would be crazy for the examiner not to sign you up, i always have done it, if deserved, even if not asked for. There should be nothing extra in the prof check other than signing a form, all the conversation over weather, notam, checks, radio etc are used to assess your 'aviating English'.
UncleT, Sooty25 liked this