Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Dear All,

Firstly I'm a complete beginner in terms of understanding the maintainance and certification system. I was very lucky to be allowed into a regional maintainance hangar as what I would call the 'hangar rat' role.

I thus watched just how the process went on but was not in a position to actually learn the papertrail and such.

I'm based in Warwickshire. It was a seasonal role and I'm now looking for other employment, which will have to be outside the industry as it needs to be full-time

I have, since the end of the summer and the season, been starting to write a report on my ideas and observations of the process. As an industry, the area of GA is under extreme threat. Although it may be a very profitable industry, if we examine the CAA's own pdf/spreadsheet 'UK Registered Aircraft as at 1st' January' we see for 2021 a total of 19,498 aircraft. Of those, if one looks at those under the Part 21 list, from CS-23A to CV-VLA, add CS-27 and the Micolights, it is a total of 14,089 aircraft. Even if each aircraft was in a group of 4 owners, that makes it a 'community' of about 56,356 people. Its tiny and very easy to ignore. Is there anyone in Warwickshire who would be willing to meet up and discuss this in detail, and who may have access to detailed marketing information and would be willing to teach and share some of that information? I know the team at Wellesbourne are too busy, so any suggestions would be greatfully received.
Cheers.
I see a few of you have read this, but no one reponded. I'm curious, is it because you all think its a stupid question? Or that a learner shouldn't be asking this, it is information that must not be discussed? Or, is it because no one knows the answers? If it is the latter isn't that just a tad bothersome considering the massive threat GA is under at the moment? Just in your heads, roughly perform a 'SWOT' analysis of GA. It doesn't look good does it?
It sounds like you have made a dragons den assumption.

Too many assumptions. how many aircraft on other registers? you assume 4 per group why? and above all what is the point of your comment. You write a 'report' for what purpose? You are also ignoring manufacturers, suppliers, maintainers, flight schools even the airlines who all have a large voice. Its a bit like counting the number of dog owners based on sales of collars. many businesses are doing well off the back of GA, even though the market is changing worldwide, some are failing possibly because they are not agile enough..its the same in many industries.

You might be better to explain the purpose of your research.

W
lobstaboy wrote:
GrahamB wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:What's SWOT

Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities-Threats.

Does anybody still use SWOT?
I've used Porters five forces for ages -at least since the 1990s, as a better tool for strategic stuff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter%27 ... s_analysis

I will probably use the five 'p' as well!
lobstaboy wrote:
VRB_20kt wrote:Looks like someone undertaking data analysis with the aim of developing some software to manage the paperwork.

Use for marketing info though from thread title?

That could be a good idea, actually I spent three months as a casual worker in a maintainence hangar in the summer. And ever since I have been mulling over a number of ideas. I could create the report without the data as the core of it is a number of hands on experience based observations. I wanted to look for someone who could specifically explain in real detail the breakdown of the information that the CAA publish as a pdf/spreadsheet. The three spreadsheets are 'Uk Registered Aircraft as at January 1st 202X... 'UK Registered Aircraft as at 1st - by aircraft class and COFA/PFT catagory' and last but not least, The one that explains the changes in weight.

Each type of certification requires a specific process of paperwork and maintainance schedule and that has a hours per job implication and a set process. I physically observed the process as performed in one particular setting and it generated series of ideas. A lot actually to do with best workshop practice and training oportunities both for professionals and amatuers alike.

However, to give my ideas more weight I need to find someone with the time and patiences to explain it all in detail and provide me the insight to create approprate graphs and estimates to include into the report.

I have a specific idea but I want to explain it properly and not just 'blurt it out' raw.
Tim Griffiths wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:Indeed. I'm not at all clear to what question you are seeking an answer.

My issue is I'm not clear either, thats what is frustrating me at the moment.

I'm not sure how to respond to that, so I'll try asking you a question instead :)
If someone reads this thread, what is it that you would like them to do?
Tim Griffiths

What do you mean by a regional maintenance hanger? One at a regional airport doing commercial passenger/freight flights and charters, or a facility used by grass roots GA ?

If you see it as a very profitable industry why is it not profitable for you to work in it full time?
If you see it as a very profitable industry why do you also say it is under such a threat with your estimated consumer base in the UK? (The estimate is too simplistic as others have indicated, although I agree it wont be anywhere near the number of car owners/users in a population of c65 million people).

GA does have its problems - which area of life has no problems? None.
I would speculate there are probably a lot less owners of Ferraris and similar very high price car marques in the UK than participate in GA.

That is a hint at the problem with GA. Relatively small number of consumers (even worldwide) equals sky high unit price for new aircraft (or engine) and some pretty high parts prices (compared to the motoring equivalent), putting it out of reach to the vast majority of the population that are financially stretched buying a modest used car. Nothing we can do to significantly change that. Given the standards of driving on the roads, and the national inability to retrain drivers back up to an acceptable standard on a regular basis, I reckon the authorities prefer to keep it that way.

There is also a community in GA participating on a shoe string, and not the wealth the general public imagine.

Worldwide consumer supply and demand obviously ripples through all the costs of GA.

GA is more complex than it often looks. The same can be said for many professions and specialities in life. They also have their own jargon, terminology, interpretations, and opinions of "best" practice.

A meaningful report would be a struggle to produce, and it would soon become a line in the sand.... strange times in a pandemic skew impressions too.

How about learning to fly instead? Probably quicker than doing the report if want it to stand up to scrutiny for marketing or other purpose for a brief moment in time!
Kemble Pitts liked this