Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
@Tim Griffiths I’ve read this thread twice and I’m afraid I’m with the majority. I don’t understand: what you are asking; what you are trying to achieve, and who you are aiming at.

My biggest stumbling block is “marketing information”. Several people have asked you to clarify what you mean by this but you don’t seem to answer.

I’ll have a go:

1. It appears that you think you have spotted an inefficiency with paperwork processes in maintenance organisations for GA aircraft - yes/no.
    2. You think you may have a solution - yes/no.
    3. You think that in order to convince your target audience for this solution you need information to determine the scale of the potential market if they adopt your solution -yes/no.
    4. {and now my stab at what you mean by marketing information} to work out the scale of the market you need to produce a table listing the number of aircraft that fall into various maintenance regimes (e.g. CofA or permit; if on CofA - is it subject to a 50hr, 100hr, annual? yes/no.
Tim Griffiths wrote:Well to be blunt I'm giving up on it. Its quite clear that the notion of actually doing something positive is not wanted.

That's your decision, but could you please put us all out of our misery and tell us what on earth it is you're talking about?! :D Who are you trying to sell what idea of what to? Marketing? Marketing what? You want to talk to someone who knows about aircraft certification, so presumably you want to design an aircraft? But you say maintenance...did you want to make maintenance cheaper? Did you want to take some combination of something to do with airworthiness and maintenance and come up with something for flight training? We really have no clue about what it is you're talking about.

Go back through the thread and please answer some of these questions, so we have half a Scooby about what on earth this thread is about! :D
JAFO liked this
Tim Griffiths wrote:Well to be blunt I'm giving up on it. Its quite clear that the notion of actually doing something positive is not wanted.

Well this has to rank a one of the strangest threads. Lots of folk offering help and attempting to work out what information the OP wants. Then the OP appears to flounce. It really is bewildering. So much goodwill discarded. Sad really.
JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
VRB_20kt wrote:

Well this has to rank a one of the strangest threads. Lots of folk offering help and attempting to work out what information the OP wants. Then the OP appears to flounce. It really is bewildering. So much goodwill discarded. Sad really.

Help? Well sorry but if anything it seems to have been a lot of folks trying to guess what my end game was or trying to confuse.

It's clear now to me why GA is in such a vunerable position at the moment. Clearly it is a very complex industry particularly in the area of certification and maintainence. I'm a life long fan of aviation and consider it one of the great wonders of the engineering age we live in. However, I thought I was asking a very simple question and hoped for a focused and simple answer. Clearly no one on this forum is able to think simply.

In any education or information situation one of the big things to avoid is assumed knowledge. Imagine then the task of explaining things to say, a senior member of a political party. Such a person will want a very clear, short and direct anwser to any question. Make it complex and they will never have the time or the inclination to even bother with it unless it is directly politically important. GA is as we all know very politically UNIMPORTANT. The idea of the report was to eventually show it to individuals outside of the industry. Thus it has to be simple and direct. If I do move forward with it I will just leave the marketing information idea out of it. Thus making it simple.
Tim Griffiths wrote:I thought I was asking a very simple question and hoped for a focused and simple answer.

You are correct that GA is a very complex business. We are governed by thousands of pages of complex legislation and yet many of us fly for the simple pleasure of being in the air.

Implementing change in this highly regulated environment is not going to be easy. Even if you had the perfect solution to make everything better you would face an initially sceptical response from those with immeasurable experience in the industry. Such is the nature of innovation.

Against this difficult background you have asked a question - a simple question. Yet the combined resources of the forum have been unable to deduce what exactly you are asking. Here you will find professors (at least two), PhDs (probably half a dozen or more), a wide range of graduates, and many other educated folk. Here are people with a lifetime spent developing GA. Here there are perhaps half a million flying hours. Here there are folk with massive commercial experience in all disciplines. Yet we haven’t been able to work out your simple question. So please, rather than blaming the forum, rephrase your question in a way that we can comprehend. :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, lobstaboy and 2 others liked this
Tim Griffiths wrote:It's clear now to me why GA is in such a vunerable position at the moment.

could you explain it to us?

... However, I thought I was asking a very simple question and hoped for a focused and simple answer.

Normally questions have a question mark in there some where. I will give you an example.

What are you asking for?

It is a simple question. That was a statement. not a question. Most of us have a standard of education were we understand the difference. And yet not one of us have understood what you are asking for.

Clearly no one on this forum is able to think simply.

That looks like an insult. Yup clearly an insult. But its still not a question. We are waiting.......

In any education or information situation one of the big things to avoid is assumed knowledge.

Completely agree. But at the moment you are effectively standing in parliament and shouting 'MILK' at the top of your voice. without any common frame of reference no one is going to answer your question, as no one understand what you are asking.

Imagine then the task of explaining things [WHAT THINGS??] to say, a senior member of a political party. Such a person will want a very clear, short and direct answer to any question. [AS DO WE. BUT YOU NEED TO ASK A QUESTION]. Make it [WHAT IS IT??} complex and they will never have the time or the inclination to even bother with it unless it {AGAIN WHAT IS IT?] is directly politically important. GA is as we all know very politically UNIMPORTANT. [Rubbish. You have made an assumption. based on what] The idea of the report was to eventually show it to individuals outside of the industry. Thus it has to be simple and direct. If I do move forward with it I will just leave the marketing information idea out of it. Thus making it simple.

Still confused.

1) You want to write a report. Sort of worked that out.
2) About GA.
3) To show to show non aviation people.

Am I right?

What will the report contain?
What will the report explain to the non aviation people?
Why will this report make a difference?

If you are involving parliament they are only interested in will it get me voted in next election, will I get in the lords, can I have a seat on the board.

Does this help?

Wayne
@Tim Griffiths I was wondering why you are seeming to find it so difficult to answer some fairly straight questions being put to you by a number of people who have taken the time to try to engage with your OP and your follow ups.

I decided to resort to Google to see if I could maybe find you and get some more context.

There are a number of Tim Griffiths who come up but when adding Warwickshire to the search term I got this hit.

Is this you?

Tim Griffiths. (@sdp_tim) / Twitterhttps://twitter.com › sdp_tim
One time Art Student, Antique dealer, Office Manager, Carer. Save Wellesbourne Airfield, SAVE UK GA! BMFA!

The next hit was for https://members.parliament.uk/constituency/3831/election/397 getting closer? Are the political aspirations the explanation to reluctance to provide straight answers to simple yes/no questions? A simple “Yes” or “No” will suffice
lobstaboy, Nick liked this