Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
I have a LAPL and an NPPL SEP, can my biannual revalidation flight be carried out in my own Permit to Fly Eurostar VLA 480kg ?
I understand that from September 2021 Flight instruction is permitted in Permit to fly aircraft for pilots with an existing license.
There is no bi-annual (6 month) requirement.

Now if you mean biennial (2 year) ....

I shall now retire from the thread after my bid for Pedant of the Year, and without even mentioning the license / licence issue. :D In the hope somebody can actually answer the question.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, AndyR and 5 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nodrog wrote:I have a LAPL and an NPPL SEP, can my biannual revalidation flight be carried out in my own Permit to Fly Eurostar VLA 480kg ?
I understand that from September 2021 Flight instruction is permitted in Permit to fly aircraft for pilots with an existing license.

Only if your instructor is light enough.

It seems you have already answered your own question, innit?

No doubt Irv et al. will pop along and confirm that is indeed possible.
By Irv Lee
@Rob P very poor pedanting, Mr P, you missed the fact there isn't an nppl-sep. See me after class. ;-)
@Nodrog assuming you have an nppl-ssea rating: if the eurostar is not a microlight then it is ok to be used for the training hour contributing to nppl ssea revalidation. If it is a microlight then it could contribute to ssea and microlight revalidation if you had both microlight and ssea ratings and asked for joint revalidation.
Answering the same question about the lapl validity rules would reveal a huge elephant in the room that really should stay well hidden until fixed. I would suggest to be squeaky clean you could ask the LAA to help and use an LAA coach, but you might be the only pilot in the UK worrying about the elephant. It's not as if the CAA have shown the slightest interest in over 9 years about lapl validity rules being obeyed
kanga liked this
By Irv Lee
Yes but remember no-one signs your lapl(a) for anything except you, just once, as soon as you received it in the place for holder's signature - don't let instructors sign the but that would have rating expiry dates if it were a PPL. However, your NPPL-SSEA rating needs to be signed up when all flying/landings are done, before rating expiry.
By Irv Lee
@Kemble Pitts what i would do is have an alternative means of compliance where the Lapl(a) pilots working to a future expiry date mentally (large numbers, i believe) have a future expiry date to work towards, just like a rating, and those who do want to use validity properly put the pen through the boxes as you describe to indicate they do that.
In my experience, today, many are working to a future 2 year date even if it isn't written in the licence, rather than a historic moving date - so give them a future date to work to as an alternative means of compliance.
If such a choice happened before "first lockdown plus two years" it would be good as i suspect out-of-validity flying will be growing 'due Covid'
This summer we will 'celebrate' 20 years since a copy/paste mistake in the ANO started, causing huge confusion fir five years, became EU law ten years later despite being removed from the ANO in 2007 as it was a huge failure in practice, then once again into UK law after easa-exit
T67M, Kemble Pitts liked this
Ignoring the LAPL bit... If I held NPPL with both M & SSEA, and the required hours & instructor flight, then who can sign the reval ? If I go to the SSEA instructor, can he sign off the 'M' as well? I understand you can "align the expiry dates", but this is difficult if the same examiner cannot sign both ratings. Surely the signature is just to say that the hours & flights are in the logbook?