Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By LAE B2
HI all
Forgive me if this has been covered - probably but in amongst much addtional detail on other posts

Im aware i can gain an EASA PPL in the US - groundschool training and licence

Is there anywhere in the UK to complete a FAA PPL as a standalone course? My intention to gain both EASA & FAA. Would it be cheaper cost wise to do this in the UK if possible?

Is it easier to gain EASA firstly then apply for FAA or vice versa?

AppreciateThanks
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I presume you are looking to obtain an EASA & FAA PPL in the UK.

There are FAA instructors in the UK but the problem you will have is the FAA written exam will need to be taken in the USA as the only FAA written test location in the UK (Farnborough) stopped offering the exams due to a change in FAA regulations requiring testing locations to have the majority of their candidates be US citizens.

I would gain an EASA PPL in the first instance. Actually, if you are in the UK you would be better off gaining a UK Part-FCL PPL as it is now known since we've left EASA. A UK Part-FCL PPL is an ICAO PPL and will be fine if you wish to gain an EASA CPL/ATPL at a later date.

Anyway, back to the FAA PPL... once you have a UK or EASA PPL you can apply to the FAA via a paperwork exercise to have an FAA PPL issued on the basis of the validity of your UK or EASA PPL. It is known as the 61.75 route, which is FAR Part 61 Regulations, Paragraph 75. You can even do this in the UK via an FAA DPE if you so wish.

Once you have an FAA PPL issued under 61.75 you can use this to add an FAA Instrument Rating, upgrade to an FAA CPL etc... basically anything you can do with a full standalone FAA PPL. The added advantage of the FAA PPL under 61.75 is you only need to keep one medical valid, i.e. a UK or EASA Class 2 as this will cover your FAA PPL as well. You will need to ensure you have an FAA Flight Review every two years with an FAA instructor but that can be done in the UK.
By kanga
<nostalgia :oops: >

ISTR from '60s that a number (there were more then!) USAF tenants at RAF flying stations had their own Civilian FCs run on FAA lines. These were regarded as 'sports' facilities for DoD civilians and military dependents, under the DoD 'Morale and Welfare' budget (like PXs), and effectively subsidised by the US taxpayer. FIs were usually active duty USAF pilots who also had a FAA FI ticket. Their QXCs were typically between such bases (where they could also uplift their subsidised, UK tax free, fuel ..); and they commonly talked only to such US bases en route. The FCs could administer FAA writtens, too .. Their students occasionally hit the UK GA press or grapevines when they got lost and needed help from D&D or ATCOs talking British English to divert to an actual UK-run airfield .. :wink: In Flight International there was once a picture of a brand new C150 being delivered to such a FC in UK in a USAF C124.

I shouldn't complain: in US I flew with such a DoD FC on an Army airfield, for much less than renting from a civilian FBO would have cost :) I did meet in US a DoD civilian pilot who had got his PPL in UK that way

</>
By LAE B2
Welsh Ritchy you have covered all my thoughts questions in one reply thanks so helpful. Particulary the advantage of only 1 medical with the 61.75 route. Think you have persuaded me to go the UK route first - logically more straightforward

Ritchy diolch unfawr as we say

Keep safe all!