Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Thegoodnamesaregone
Hi all,

Does anyone know if a CRI rating can be applied for at the same time as applying for a restricted FI(A) rating?

I’m in the latter stages of my FI course and to me it would seem beneficial to also obtain a CRI rating if possible. I can’t seem to find any regulation that tells me how to go from FI to CRI. I’ve heard of people applying for CRI at the same time as FI and having it issued.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

First post here, so I apologise if I’m covering old ground. Thanks in advance
By Kemble Pitts
You absolutely must get the CRI along with the FI(A) Restricted. You've probably worked out that the CRI allows things that the 'Restricted' FI cannot do.

I already had the CRI when I applied for the FI so don't have first hand experience of obtaining them together. However, one of the other instructors I work with did the FI course and then simply applied for FI and CRI at the same time and on the basis of the FI course. Both were added to his licence by CAA without any quibble.

I'd suggest you check what forms need to be completed for FI and for CRI and make sure that your school provides all of the paperwork, certificates, signatures, etc. required for the two.
By Thegoodnamesaregone
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'd seen that the CRI allows privileges that a restricted FI doesn't have. I have the pre-requisites for a CRI (300 Hours), so that got me thinking about what is in the CRI course but not in the FI course.

Will look into the paperwork side of things, and do battle with the CAA Portal when the time comes! I'm guessing It's best to apply for both at the same time rather than apply for FI, and the subsequently apply for CRI?

Thankfully, the ATO offers CRI as well as FI courses.
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thegoodnamesaregone wrote:Will look into the paperwork side of things, and do battle with the CAA Portal when the time comes! I'm guessing It's best to apply for both at the same time rather than apply for FI, and the subsequently apply for CRI?

Please can you keep us posted as I'm hoping to the same in the spring when I hopefully pass the FI AoC? :D

The ATO offers all instructor (and examiner) courses.

Many thanks.
By Kemble Pitts
Thegoodnamesaregone wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'd seen that the CRI allows privileges that a restricted FI doesn't have. I have the pre-requisites for a CRI (300 Hours), so that got me thinking about what is in the CRI course but not in the FI course.

Will look into the paperwork side of things, and do battle with the CAA Portal when the time comes! I'm guessing It's best to apply for both at the same time rather than apply for FI, and the subsequently apply for CRI?

Same time.
By Thegoodnamesaregone
Please can you keep us posted as I'm hoping to the same in the spring when I hopefully pass the FI AoC? :D

The ATO offers all instructor (and examiner) courses.

Many thanks.

Wilco!
By WelshRichy
BusheBasher wrote:For info: What exactly can a CRI do that a restricted FI cannot?

Nothing once the FI is unrestricted (requires 100 hrs instruction & 25 solo sign-offs) but a CRI can go feral from the word go if they so wish. The CRI removes the need for a supervising FI to be available during restricted phase for an FI for things a CRI can do like a bi-annual flight or differences training as examples.
By WelshRichy
Bathman wrote:And if you don't have CPL TK. Does it make any difference then?

I've done the CPL TK so not really thought much about it although I will need to research in preparation for the course as I'm sure it'll crop up. I presume a LAPL-only FI won't have FCL.945 privileges as LAPLs don't have Class Ratings? In this case the CRI would be useful as they will have FCL.945.
By Kemble Pitts
WelshRichy wrote:
Bathman wrote:And if you don't have CPL TK. Does it make any difference then?

I've done the CPL TK so not really thought much about it although I will need to research in preparation for the course as I'm sure it'll crop up. I presume a LAPL-only FI won't have FCL.945 privileges as LAPLs don't have Class Ratings? In this case the CRI would be useful as they will have FCL.945.

Correct.

Plus, compared to a LAPL-only FI, the CRI can teach (post PPL) on all SEPs, rather than be (arguably) restricted to sub 2000kg aircraft.
WelshRichy liked this
By WelshRichy
Kemble Pitts wrote:Plus, compared to a LAPL-only FI, the CRI can teach (post PPL) on all SEPs, rather than be (arguably) restricted to sub 2000kg aircraft.

That makes perfect sense with regards the rules as they are. Though don't get me started on the whole CPL TK requirement which causes this whole work-around! That would be a bit of a rant...
By WelshRichy
Bathman wrote:If your a LAPL FI I would very much suggest you hold a CRI

Agreed although I've done the CPL TK so won't have that limitation assuming I pass the AoC of course! :D