Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By netsua
As those interested in the topic may recall, there was a lot of useful information shared over the last 18 months or so on the LAA forum, most notably the welcome news of the French loophole, allowing UK national licence holders to fly Permit aircraft in French airspace. As I understand, this was enabled under legislation tied to ECAC. My question is whether there have been any advances in gaining access for our national licence holders in (non-French) European airspace, whether on the back of ECAC or indeed any other legislative developments? I am particularly interested in flying in Italy and I wonder whether Italy's membership of ECAC has thrown up a similar loophole, as with France? Thanks in advance for any information related to this.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
do you mean NPPL ? The full non-FCL PPL is ICAO compliant for non-part21 aircraft, I would have to examine the 2021 law change to see if it, with an SEP rating, is recognised for G reg part 21 outside the UK to any extent (it is recognised inside the UK but not to full strength)
Irv Lee wrote:do you mean NPPL ? The full non-FCL PPL is ICAO compliant for non-part21 aircraft, I would have to examine the 2021 law change to see if it, with an SEP rating, is recognised for G reg part 21 outside the UK to any extent (it is recognised inside the UK but not to full strength)

You're being sucked into the CAA's fuzzy thinking Irv.

The non-FCL PPL is ICAO Compliant- full stop.
Irv Lee wrote:@Kemble Pitts it may be icao compliant but (i would have to check) i think a uk non fcl ppl-mep holder cannot legally fly part 21 mep

Hi Irv

You are right in that CAA has, for no logical reason, declared that a UK-issued, ICAO compliant licence (non-FCL PPL) cannot be used to fly certain UK registered ICAO complaint aircraft without some nonsense restrictions. :roll: :roll:

But that doesn't stop those licences being ICAO compliant. Obviously an NPPL is a different kettle of kippers...
By Irv Lee
And that is really the OP question... What can/cannot an (unspecified in the OP) uk national licence do in Europe beyond UK and France.
I have not yet looked to see if the ability of
an icao compliant non fcl uk ppl-sep to fly part 21 g reg aircraft is territorial or worldwide, i would hope the latter but wouldn't put money on it without checking
By VRB_20kt
I’m feeling very ignorant.

I thought the old ICAO-compliant EASA part-FCL licences has automagically become ICAO-compliant UK part-FCL licences.

So what is an ICAO-compliant non-FCL licence? Is this the old poo-brown?

My brain hurts!
VRB_20kt wrote:I’m feeling very ignorant.

I thought the old ICAO-compliant EASA part-FCL licences has automagically become ICAO-compliant UK part-FCL licences.

So what is an ICAO-compliant non-FCL licence? Is this the old poo-brown?

My brain hurts!

Gin will help with the brain problem.

You're correct regarding the EASA licences.

Actually all pre-JAR UK 'full' PPL-type licences are ICAO-compliant (as was the JAR-PPL). Includes poo-brown, but not such things as the old microlight licences [PPL(D) I think they were called, and the like].

Bugger's muddle... can you save me some of that gin please.
VRB_20kt liked this