Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Up to now I've been completing CAA Form SRG1119E for each SEP Rating that I've revalidated and have posted (or asked the licence holder to post) the completed form to FCL section at CAA.

No charges, no response (and presumably little interest) from CAA.

So far, so good.

Today CAA has promulgated the following:

Categories: Flight crew licensing examiners, Flight training commercial, Flight training private
Upcoming changes to Flight Crew Licensing rating application forms
Please be advised the PDF (paper) versions of the following six Flight Crew Licensing rating application forms will be withdrawn on 13 January 2022 and replaced with a single online form:
• SRG1119A
• SRG1119B
• SRG1119C
• SRG1119E
• SRG1173
• SRG1161

We have also updated the following course / landing completion certificates
• SRG1107
• SRG1112
• SRG5011

Online application form SRG3108 is now live and can be used for class, type and instrument rating applications, including ratings for microlights and airships.
Please note that the old PDF (paper) forms will not be accepted from 13 January 2022.
SW2021/295

I've just had a look at this 'form' on the CAA website and it says, inter alia:

How much will it cost me?
A fee for each rating or LAPL privilege applied is:

Initial issue £127
Renewal, revalidation, variation £93 (excluding LAPL)

Either I'm misunderstanding something or CAA is now going to charge £93 each time someone revalidates their SEP.

Can anybody shed any more light on this?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The surrounding guidance makes no mention of revalidation by experience nor does it consider any route other than via an ATO. Whoever writes this material needs some serious Soviet style re-education :twisted:
Kemble Pitts liked this
AndyR wrote:Later on in the form it then reveals that for a revalidation there is no cost.

Right, I didn't get past the first page as it seemed to want a 'live' set of data, and I don't have a ive revalidation to do for anyone.

So, in one place they say they'll charge and in another they so 'oh, actually we won't charge'!!! FFS
By GrahamB
Roy wrote:Has anyone cracked this yet?

The first page now says that there is no fee for revalidation of a SEP rating, however after confirming this is a revalidation and entering all of the relevant info I cannot submit without paying £93!

Yes, did my first one helping a reval’ing pilot last week.

He was not charged so we must have done it all correctly. You need to tick the ‘Yes, my licence has been endorsed by an examiner’ box IIRC.
By Roy
GrahamB wrote:
Roy wrote:Has anyone cracked this yet?

The first page now says that there is no fee for revalidation of a SEP rating, however after confirming this is a revalidation and entering all of the relevant info I cannot submit without paying £93!

Yes, did my first one helping a reval’ing pilot last week.

He was not charged so we must have done it all correctly. You need to tick the ‘Yes, my licence has been endorsed by an examiner’ box IIRC.

Thanks Graham, I was getting renewal & revalidation confused doh!!!
By GrahamB
By the way..

I went to do a revalidation submission with a pilot today, and you now have to upload a scan of either an SRG1107, or an SRG1157.

So the 'let's get rid of paper forms' electronic notification now requires a paper form. :roll:

They really should think out their requirements and design the workflow before implementing this sort of stuff. It doesn't bode well for e-licensing.

@johnm Shall we make a joint bid for the consultancy work to help them get it right? :lol: They don't seem to have anyone who knows to do this sort of stuff.
johnm liked this
By GrahamB
low&slow wrote:Why don't you fill out the forms on screen & upload a pdf?

In theory, you could, but for a start they require signatures.

In addition, they haven't really been designed and validated for completion on line, so e.g. boxes are wrongly sized for the fonts etc.
I've just had no problem entering values into an SRG1157 in the browser, in pc pdf software and on my phone. The form fields worked fine, font size perfect etc.

You can get signature pads ranging from cheap to hundreds that work on pc & Mac. Any decent phone/tablet pdf software will allow you to write on it, fine point pens are available for capacitive screens.
By GrahamB
low&slow wrote:I've just had no problem entering values into an SRG1157 in the browser, in pc pdf software and on my phone. The form fields worked fine, font size perfect etc.

You can get signature pads ranging from cheap to hundreds that work on pc & Mac. Any decent phone/tablet pdf software will allow you to write on it, fine point pens are available for capacitive screens.

Any solution which starts to assume specific technologies above a browser is not acceptable. Just design a system that both the pilot and the examiner can log on to to approve and submit.

I meant to add, all the data on the new screen form is actually on the paper forms anyway, so the whole thing is pointless. One might as well just email the pdf/scan of the paper form.
AndyR liked this
By DavidC
This seems like an enormous change to the very common procedure of SEP Revalidation with almost no guidance or warning from the CAA. I doubt the majority of instructors are aware of it yet.

I understand that from next week I can no longer just fill in form SRG1119E and email/post to the CAA as before.

Questions for a standard PPL SEP revalidation would be
1) Is this something I can still do as an instructor or must the pilot login to their own CAA Portal Account and upload forms either scanned or separately filled-in on local computer?

2) Does this require the pilot to have a CAA Portal account? Many won't if they've been flying on a Personal Medical Declaration or not needed an AME medical examination recently. Those that do might need prompted to bring their password along with them so it can be done at the time.

3) What records should the instructor retain and in what format?

4) How would you choose between SRG1157 and SRG 1107 for a SEP revalidation? It seems either can be used. Does it make any difference if done by an Examiner vs Instructor using FCL.935?

5) Form SRG1157 section 2 references SRG1119 which is being withdrawn.

6) Does the CAA portal list the current/valid ratings for Private Pilots yet? It's supposed to do that for Commercial pilots but in my experience that doesn't work very well.