Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm reminded about the old joke about the donkey and length of 4 by 2. The temptation to turn up at the Belgrano with a baseball bat is growing rapidly and I am not a violent man :twisted:
I've just had a quick whizz through SRG3108, pretending to revalidate & then renew an SEP rating without submitting. It seems that anyone can open & fill out the form, no CAA portal account required.

I would guess instructors & examiners can keep whatever records they feel necessary, maybe keep a copy of SRG1157 & 1107 on file & fill out as necessary. I don't know what happens if you hit the submit button on SRG3108, perhaps it offers a print out that you can email to the instructor as a copy.

No. the portal itself does not list ratings for private pilots.

It all seems very simple to me, I don't know why johnm finds it so complicated.
By DavidC
Thanks @low&slow

OK, I take quite a lot of my earlier concerns back. I didn't realise you could just run through the form online, and indeed it does accept and validate input from a sensible choice of options. Link to the online form here https://applications.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/servlet/SmartForm.html?formCode=PTR

I ran through a simple SEP revalidation and it didn't require any form to be uploaded. Basically it just captured similar information to what was on the SRG1119E but also gave the option to let them know if any other endorsements since the CAA last printed the licence. An improvement is that I didn't need to report exactly how many hours were flown, just that the minimum requirements had been met.

Dare I say the CAA might have done quite a good job on this. Just need to communicate it a little more widely and clearly.

Couple of questions arise though.
1) Are you a professional or private pilot? Why don't they just say do you have a CPL or ATPL licence (which is what I think they mean). Arguably a PPL/FI is a Professional Pilot but I sense this isn't what is being asked here. Anyway, why do they need that information? They should infer that from the pilot licence number.

2) Do you wish to be issued or reissued with a UK national pilots licence to continue to operate microlights and/or Annex I aircraft?
Surely a Part-FCL licence already has those privileges. Why would I need to pay extra for a licence to do that? A link to some helpful pop-up clarification would be useful here.

@johnm I think you might find better uses for your 2x4 in your garden shed, next the pitchfork.
By GrahamB
DavidC wrote:I ran through a simple SEP revalidation and it didn't require any form to be uploaded.

David, did you actually submit a real form, or did you just run through it to the point where you make a declaration of truthful etc.?

I have done two real ones to date. The first SEP revalidation by experience required no forms uploading. The second, again a SEP revalidation by experience couple of weeks later, did, right at the final stage.
By MattL
I’m now being told the system is telling people to upload a new SRG1107 Course Completion Certificate. Looking at the new version of this it has all the old revalidation by experience stuff for the FI/FE to fill in and sign on page 2 of that! Why on Earth would you need a course completion certificate for a revalidation by experience!! What another total mess … :evil:
By DavidC
I tried this again with my own details. All seems fairly straightforward until the page that asks if any endorsements have been made to your licence since it was last issued by the CAA. It's unclear if that includes the latest SEP revalidation or not, but happily skips this if you don't say anything and comes up with a calculated fee of zero.

If you do choose to add a new endorsement, it then asks for a certified copy of your ratings pages to be uploaded. However I understood that an instructor with FCL.945 can't certify documents such as ID or licences so you'd need to seek out an examiner.

I wasn't presented with any option to upload other SRG forms mentioned earlier in the thread. Perhaps they have recently changed the system, or maybe it was because I ticked "Professional Licence".

After proceeding to the next stage without uploading said document, the system went into a continuous loop swapping between alternate webpages https://ids.caaexams.co.uk/issue/hrd and an SSO sign-in page and refused to display or accept any further input.

The previous attempt, I didn't try to enter anything in the endorsements page and it let me proceed to the charges section, confirming that a my application won't be processed until payment of £0 has been received.

Methinks there is a tiny bit of debugging left to do plus some clear communication wouldn't go amiss.

Nonetheless, this could be a helpful step forward especially if it improves the data quality of licence records kept by the CAA online.
Last edited by DavidC on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
I think the ‘ratings endorsed’ question should be answered with a ‘No’ if you already have an SEP rating.

Unless things have changed (again) you will be asked for an 1107 or an 1157 at the very end.

Btw it’s FCL.945, not 935. :wink:
By DavidC
Fixed the numerical error :oops:

I accept your interpretation of "Ratings Endorsed" is whether any new ratings have been added rather than whether any have been revalidated. Kind of makes sense but plenty of room for confusion.

Helpful to understand that subsequently there are forms to be signed/scanned/uploaded - clearly that's the difficult bit. Does that only come after they've processed any fees due?
By GrahamB
DavidC wrote:Helpful to understand that subsequently there are forms to be signed/scanned/uploaded - clearly that's the difficult bit. Does that only come after they've processed any fees due?

I don't know - I'm only a humble CRI.945 doing revals by experience with no fees payable, so I've never seen the order they come in.
I've still not had to do one of these 'live' so haven't exercised the system for real.

Its not obvious, but it looks like the licence holder can do all of this guff himself: is that the case?

And what is all this rubbish about uploading scans of paper forms FFS? Or is that only required on days of the week with a 'y' in them? And what is the point of that anyhow, isn't this on-line process meant to get rid of bits of paper?

CAA really needs to get its carp together and communicate before launching things like this. The shame of it is that this could be an improvement over the old system, its just gone off half-cocked.
By GrahamB
Kemble Pitts wrote:Its not obvious, but it looks like the licence holder can do all of this guff himself: is that the case?

I think that's the idea, but like an awful lot of the paper forms, it assumes a level of understanding of CAA-speak which the average pilot doesn't have*.

*as often seen here where people regularly confuse renewal and revalidation, for example
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Irv Lee
Sorry if already mentioned, haven't read every post
Y'know ratings are revalidated to end of month?. Anyone tried to enter a new expiry date for the rating into the srg3108? On my phone, the date selection 'calendar' never shows the final few days of each month...! I discovered the phone has to be turned to landscape, and only then the whole month appears.
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
The short 1119e has now gone and a reval by experience requires a 1157 if the licence is endorsed with the new rating. No other forms need to be completed.
The 1157 is the same examiners report you fill in for a multi IR renewal and there’s nothing referring to part 945 instructors or the biennial flight etc.
Who on Earth thought this was a good idea?