Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MattL wrote:https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=10945

For those of you who deal with military credit applicants, the new scheme has been published as CAP2254 today.

We have also managed to get credit for University Air Squadron flying restored having lost it back in 2018 with the NPPL ‘loophole’ closure.

Great work to all involved for getting the UAS credit back.

I’ve sent you a PM @MattL if you get a chance to have a look.
By Irv Lee
@Bathman nppl-ppl restoration. i cannot think of a single thing that would suddenly increase needed footfall across DTO thresholds more, or enhance (or restore) skill set in a sizeable population languishing in a backwater with no obvious exit. As well as the nppl-ssea holders gained since April 2018, Nppl(m) would start up the ladder via ssea. It's not as if ssea to ppl is a radical idea, it once existed in its own right, and exists now for ssea pilots who gained the rating before April 8th 2018.
By MattL
@Irv Lee There is nothing stopping a NPPL M adding SSEA now and then using in Part 21 aircraft? No solo required for the M to SSEA so it could work?
By Irv Lee
Yes, quite simple but dead end. But many want to progress. I spoke at the Europa (pilot) zoom agm in 2020, quite clear that some were happily and safely touring Europe in Europas and others were frustratedly reading trip reports about colleagues touring Europe in Europas.
Someone with ssea issued early 2018 can progress to a full FCL ppl, but if that were sometime in April 2018 onwards, and they cannot even have a national ppl, never mind an fcl ppl .. not that there should be two sorts anyway.
By Bathman
I have to agree with Irv here. The number of NPPL holders stuck far out strips the number of military pilots awaiting accreditation.

One can only assume that re-opening of the NPPL upgrade pathway is also being worked on and is only just around the corner.

Heaven forbid the CAA have no idea that such a massive problem exists.
By nickwilcock
One can only assume that re-opening of the NPPL upgrade pathway is also being worked on

We're trying! However, CAA is most certainly well aware of the difficulties the 8th April 2018 nonsense has been causing.
nickwilcock wrote:
One can only assume that re-opening of the NPPL upgrade pathway is also being worked on

We're trying! However, CAA is most certainly well aware of the difficulties the 8th April 2018 nonsense has been causing.

Appreciate all the hard work that is going on, but is there any transparency or communication about what this really means for us in practice?

I'm one of the NPPL(A) with M -ers that is stuck in the dead-end right now and I have been for 2 years (I get that I could do my SSEA upgrade, but there's no benefit to me doing so right now). I post here every now and again to enquire and just get told to hang tight...but nothing concrete has been hinted at.

Is there some sort of timeline that can be shared? Who is talking about this? How frequently? Are there any provisional ideas being floated around? Is there some kind of grand plan being worked towards?

It's not the wait that's the problem; it's the not knowing what the eventual timeline might look like, or what the goal the CAA is working towards is. Are we going to be here in 12 months time with no further news?