Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By trr13
Hello all,

I've only had one medical so far in my flying career, almost 5 years ago. I haven't been in contact with the AME since (no medical issues since), and have also moved to a different city. Does it work like a GP, in that I should go back to them for my renewal and with an questions between medicals?

The reason I ask is because I will be starting to take a prescription medication.. it is for a very minor cosmetic medical condition, with no significant side effects. Is this something I am required to discuss with my AME? and if so can I consult any AME about it, or should I speak to my original one?

Thanks in advance!
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm a bit puzzled by this how do you have a valid medical if you haven't seen an AME in 5 years??
By Arrow Flyer
No, you don't "have" an AME. You could use a different one for each revalidation if you wanted to.

You will have to disclose taking regular medication to your AME.

johnm wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by this how do you have a valid medical if you haven't seen an AME in 5 years??

A Class 2 medical is valid for 5 years if you're less than 40. The OP said almost 5 years ago, so could have a valid medical still.
johnm, trr13 liked this
By trr13
johnm wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by this how do you have a valid medical if you haven't seen an AME in 5 years??

My medical will expire in January - I'm under 40 so only have to renew every 5 years as it's a class 2.

Arrow Flyer wrote:No, you don't "have" an AME. You could use a different one for each revalidation if you wanted to.

You will have to disclose taking regular medication to your AME.

Thank you, I guess I should get in touch with one soon then. Would most AMEs be happy to discuss things like this, even if they've never seen you before?
johnm liked this
By riverrock
I've "had" two AMEs - both stopped being AMEs soon after they gave me a medical. I only knew they had dissappeared when I went looking for my next medical (currently on a PMD).
trr13 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
After you have had a medical with an AME you remain they are 'your' AME until you have a new medical with an AME.

Questions about medication need to be directed to your AME or if you are very close to having a medical with another AME you can see if the new AME can help with that.

They may decline as they have none of your medical history and there is some admin 'hassle' involved in getting access to your medical record and making entries on it if you haven't had a medical with them (around consent)

All AMEs manage work and charges differently, some do not charge for small matters in-between medicals, but will for more involved work. Doing work for someone who has never been to them is likely to attract a charge.

Contacting your/an AME to discuss the medication is the way forward, not only from a safety point of view but also as that is a legal requirement.

HTH
By NDB_hold
Only problem @Flyin'Dutch' is when your AME writes to you to say he no longer wants to be an AME leaving you orphaned… which is currently my situation until I find a new one for my next medical.

He’s not retired; I wonder if he just didn’t get enough work to justify the faff and cost.
By Flyin'Dutch'
A fair number of AMEs have decided that the Cellma system is unworkable and not worth their time and effort, especially those who only do the AME work part time out of affinity for and interest in aviation.

The training programme for Cellma was a royal PITA with the projected time required being a minimum of 15 hours and the system is pretty awful in daily use.

See there the perfect storm.

If people currently dont't have an AME and need one they will have to contact another AME and discuss their problem with the AME.
By VRB_20kt
Having had a medical last week with a medic of this parish I can see why any sane person would walk away. We set a timer going on my arrival and it was literally THIRTY minutes faffing around with this ridiculous Cellma system before he could begin the examination.

He knew the system well - no mistakes on his part. The server is obscenely slow. Information has to be manually transferred or re-keyed. I had made a common “mistake” which meant that we had to completely redo the history form. (Hint: Don’t take the option to fill in the form and pay later. You can’t). That barely scratches the surface of its shortfalls.

All in all the software should NEVER have been accepted and certainly shouldn’t have gone live. It is possibly one of the worst systems I have ever encountered. If you think it’s bad with the front end that we pilots have, pity your poor AME who has to work with this mess day in day out.
A le Ron, Flyin'Dutch' liked this