Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello all,

Thought I'd try here before resorting to contacting FCL. I have recently completed the training for my MEP rating but not taken the test yet due to the following extract from CAA standards document 3 ( which relates to the CPL skills test).

"An applicant for the CPL Skill Test shall have received instruction in a single pilot aeroplane of
the same class or type of aircraft to be used in the test. If all the pre-requisite training has been
completed and additional testing requirements have been met (e.g. the written theoretical
knowledge examination for a ME class rating or type rating), a successful CPL Skill Test will
also satisfy the requirements for the issue of the relevant class or type rating"

This means, I think, that because I have done the MEP rating training and I am also going to be doing the CPL skills test on a Multi then a successful pass in the CPL test will result in me also being issued my Multi Enngine Piston Rating also. Thus making a seperate MEP test pointless. HOWEVER...if one does a standalone MEP rating then the test must be passed within 6 months of the start of the training.

My question is, would I still be issued with an MEP rating following a successful CPL skills test if the CPL skills test took place later than 6 months from the start of the MEP rating training, bearing in mind the standard document quoted above makes no mention of a time limit.

As ever, any advice or opinions greatly appreciated

Kind regards,

Danny
The 6 month limit from MEP course start to CPL test still applies I'm afraid - you would be combining the CPL test with an initial MEP ST, using the pre-requisites of MEP course completed within the 6 month course validity. There is a little bit of scope for your ATO to seek a one-off exception via their Ops Inspector as long as the 6 month clock isn't pushed too hard, and based on further MEP training conducted during the CPL (since at least 5 hours of the CPL course must be conducted on the aircraft model used for test), but no guarantees - I've secured this for one or 2 of my students so far, but not attempted it as a routine thing.
Danny liked this