Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By DavidC
I have several potential students who have or are considering NPPL training with Personal Medical Declarations.

Could I ask the experts if the following assumptions are correct, based on my interpretation of ORS4 1486?

1) NPPL(M) going solo in PA28 during SSEA class rating training
2) NPPL(SSEA) going solo in PA28 during Night Rating training
3) Ab-initio NPPL(SSEA) student going solo in PA28

1&2 are legal, 3 is not and so would either have to learn on a Non-Part 21 aircraft that they (part) own or go for at least the LAPL with a LAPL medical.

My thinking is that 1&2 are licence holders so qualify for the exemption, whereas the ab-initio doesn’t

If I am wrong, it would seem a lot to ask students to get a LAPL medical purely for mircrolight to SSEA or night training after which they wouldn’t require it.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Remember it isn't 1486 any more, the law changed in June
http://skywise.caa.co.uk/the-aviation-s ... ions-2021/
Case 1: they don't need to go solo
Case 2: seems new law covers it as nppl already has an ssea in it
Caae 3: maybe need to find a law para somewhere saying if in training for a licence and rating, a student is covered by regulations for that combination. Presumably something like that exists somewhere hopefully.

Medical; well for icao licence conversions to fcl ppl, they are bonkers enough to make someone who will never use a foreign licence again go and get a foreign medical for it, even though they will already have a full UK class 2 medical, so it would surprise me
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ok, here's another one sort of linked - with the law change in June, "clearly" :wink: someone with a UK non fcl PPL and current SEP rating can fly part 21 aircraft in UK airspace. What stops an instructor with an SEP rating in such a licence AND an FI rating from teaching in it (for a normal part fcl PPL)
(This is not just theoretical, I happen to have someone who contacted me over the weekend completely screwed up on the FCL paperwork side who would benefit)