Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi everyone,

Please do direct me if we have already discussed this on these forums, so I apologise if I have missed it.

I am looking to start out on my ATPL exams (PPL and night rating in hand) with the hope of completing CPL, MEIR etc eventually to find a job in the airlines in 2-3 years time.

I am nearing conflicting views on CAA v EASA licences. I assume that as I live in the UK, and will hope to operate our of the UK, I should be going with CAA. But, I am told that CAA licence is only valid in the UK, on Uk registered aircraft. Surely we could operate e.g. a BA flight from London to Europe on a CAA licence?

Is anyone able to direct me or help clarify this for me?

Thanks again for all your help.

Simon
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In simple terms. With a CAA licence you can fly a G reg aeroplane across the world. With an EASA licence you can fly an aeroplane registered anywhere in EASAland across the world.
Ah that’s an interesting point, doing both sets of exams, a few questions.

1. Are we currently allowed to hold both licences?

2. Sounds easy enough for ground exams - presume I just take the exam twice as syllabus is the same?

3. My PPL is CAA issued - do I need to get one under EAS too before CPL?

4. When undertaking CPL, MEP, IR would it be the case of doing the skills test twice under a different examiner (or an examiner who is accredited for both).

Thanks!
By clarkeysntfc
SH87 wrote:Ah that’s an interesting point, doing both sets of exams, a few questions.

1. Are we currently allowed to hold both licences?
Yes

2. Sounds easy enough for ground exams - presume I just take the exam twice as syllabus is the same?
Yes

3. My PPL is CAA issued - do I need to get one under EAS too before CPL?
No - a CAA PPL is an ICAO PPL and therefore you can use this to apply for EASA CPL.

4. When undertaking CPL, MEP, IR would it be the case of doing the skills test twice under a different examiner (or an examiner who is accredited for both).
Before end of 2022 CAA are recognising EASA training so you should be able to do as single course for both. Beyond that it's totally unclear.

Thanks!
SH87 liked this
By clarkeysntfc
SH87 wrote:So, next question on this…. Which class 1 medical would we need?

Based on the above I would assume we need a CAA and an EASA class 1, however on the CAA website it specially says EASA - and I haven’t been able to get a response from CAA on this either!

Thanks

Both.
CAA one + one from the EASA country you intend to use for your CPL. Most use Ireland.