Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By webdevduck
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Has anyone had any success recently changing an address on an NPPL please? I currently hold both a PPL(A) and an NPPL, but the CAA portal suggests it will only accept Part-FCL licences.

It even rather scarily says on the CAA website that "If you have not already converted your pilot licence to an EASA licence, then updating your licence will mean that it will be compulsorily converted to an EASA licence and a conversion fee will be charged. " :shock:

Last time it was so much simpler... I just bunged in a paper change of address form when I upgraded the LAPL to a PPL, along with a certified copy of the NPPL , and they were all sorted out. This time I tried to do the same (when adding a TMG class rating to the PPL) but it's all gone electronic with no leniency for such shenanigans. So I sent in the class rating application and after a six week wait I now have a shiny new piece of paper with the wrong address on, and I'm still not sure how to sort them out!
By Irv Lee
webdevduck wrote:It even rather scarily says on the CAA website that "If you have not already converted your pilot licence to an EASA licence, then updating your licence will mean that it will be compulsorily converted to an EASA licence and a conversion fee will be charged. " :shock:

whilst it is clearly bowlocks, I know quite a few NPPL-SSEA holders (post April 2018 issue) who would be very pleased to read "it WILL be compulsorily converted" .... brilliant, that is what they have been looking for, so all they have to do is change address, and they thought they had to do a whole ab-initio course.
webdevduck, B1engineer liked this
By webdevduck
I have gone for the approach of submitting SRG2156 twice (because apparently I can't append two licences to the same form, even though it's possible to hold multiple part-FCL licences). Once for the PPL(A) and once for the NPPL(A), and sent them an email to tell them what I've done. Fingers crossed they don't screw it all up. Perhaps by "compulsorily converted" they'll line the documents up in a room and do some Clockwork Orange inspired therapy to them...
By Spooky
webdevduck wrote:I have gone for the approach of submitting SRG2156 twice (because apparently I can't append two licences to the same form, even though it's possible to hold multiple part-FCL licences). Once for the PPL(A) and once for the NPPL(A), and sent them an email to tell them what I've done. Fingers crossed they don't screw it all up. Perhaps by "compulsorily converted" they'll line the documents up in a room and do some Clockwork Orange inspired therapy to them...

If you need to send your licences in, make sure you get photos/scans of them Before sending then off :thumleft:
webdevduck liked this
By webdevduck
Thanks for the advice. It's the online form so they are certified copies, I still have the originals. I actually moved in April, since then have got the ratings signed up until 2023 (and added a TMG rating to the PPL, that I only just got back to my, ahem, "correspondence address"), so I should be able to carry on for the next few weeks/months while they figure it out.
Spooky liked this
By flyingjohno
I have a similar problem coming up, and I actually spoke to someone on the CAA stand at the LAA Rally about this..... they had a couple of people who seemed to know about licencing. They confirmed that the bit about 'upgrading to EASA licence' is bollo...... If you have an NPPL it will be reissued as an NPPL, if you have an old lifetime UK PPL (as I do) it'll be reissued as the modern UK PPL version of that....... So common sense does for once seem to apply......

J.
Spooky liked this
By webdevduck
I have now received both licences back in the same envelope, delivered by Fedex (I paid to courier one but not the other), in under than three weeks. Their system may be rubbish, but it seems that someone in the licencing team had some common sense - and turned them around in a reasonable time frame too. Well done that person.
By Irv Lee
Well I've been contacted by an NPPL-er who had hit the brick wall, not in changing address, but in getting a reprint because the actual piece of paper that is the licence was mislaid. I think it is now back on track and hopefully he will receive his new licence with all current ratings in during the coming week. He is meticulous with copying paperwork (fortunately) (but not in keeping originals safe), so actually he had copies of ratings pages etc, which the examiner who signed the most recent was able to 'confirm' was what he did. The reason they gave for not reprinting his NPPL was that he had not included a form SRG1157 from the last revalidation. That form is for prof checks and revalidation by experience of FCL ratings, it has absolutely no relevance to an NPPL. If you look at 1157 what the signatories are supposed to sign, it's all about FCL. I've had to prove to them that the NPPL has no equivalent of the FCL form SRG1157 (I did this via the Flight Examiners Handbook, page 146 of the PDF, revalidation of NPPL ratings, forms required: NONE).
Fingers crossed, reprint in the next few days, I suspect, or official complaint.
By Cookie
I've had to prove to them that the NPPL has no equivalent of the FCL form SRG1157 (I did this via the Flight Examiners Handbook, page 146 of the PDF, revalidation of NPPL ratings, forms required: NONE).

NST and GST examiner report forms can be found in the relevant syllabus document found on the NPPL website. This should be completed by the examiner and retained as per requirements. However, this is not required to be submitted to the UK CAA for NPPL Class Rating revalidation or renewal.

SSEA GST report form on page 50 here.

Cookie
By skydriller
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It's a funny state of affairs where we rely on people like Irv and Cookie to know the regulations and have to inform the CAA what they are.

This is unfortunately becoming all too common in many walks of life. One good thing (I Hope) is that the whole Covid mess of regulation this last year or so means many more people are seeing this type of behaviour and getting used to actually pushing back and countering a lack of rule knowledge by those enforcing rules as opposed to just rolling over...

Regards, SD..
UncleT liked this
By Irv Lee
Cookie wrote:
I've had to prove to them that the NPPL has no equivalent of the FCL form SRG1157 (I did this via the Flight Examiners Handbook, page 146 of the PDF, revalidation of NPPL ratings, forms required: NONE).

NST and GST examiner report forms can be found in the relevant syllabus document found on the NPPL website. This should be completed by the examiner and retained as per requirements. However, this is not required to be submitted to the UK CAA for NPPL Class Rating revalidation

Cookie

Yes, but.... there wasn't a test. They wanted a copy of the (fcl form) 1157 from the most recent nppl rating reval by experience. Doesn't exist!. Examiners in this case are just supposed to note they did it, no forms involved.
In this case, Examiner and pilot sent certified copies of log book showing pilot qualified for reval by experience, copy of actual rating page post-signing, certified by examiner who had done the reval by experience, even photo id - but no, they want to see a copy of a form that is not used for nppl.
I am hoping my most recent email might have unjammed it, but in these cases, (I have 2 other different cases rejecting fcl rating applications by demanding wrong forms), they never reply, so you wait 5-10 working days after the email explaining their own published processes to them and if a licence then turns up, you find your argument was accepted.
By Cookie
Examiners in this case are just supposed to note they did it, no forms involved.

Correct. If examiners experience problems with CAA queries such as this regarding NPPL administration, I recommend they contact the LAA or BMAA.

Cookie