Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By dunny
Apologies if this has been covered before.

Am I correct in saying that the bones of the UK regulatory framework is now the following: -

• Standardised Rules of the Air (SERA) as amended by the Aviation Safety (Amendment) Regulations 2021)
• The Rules of the Air Regulations 2015.
• Permissions and general exemptions – (ORS Notes)
• Other specific European Regulations retained and amended in UK domestic law.

If this is correct, I have a couple of questions: -

1. What is the status of the ANO given that this is meant to be aligned with SERA?
2. Where are the retained regulations listed?
3. Is it safe to assume that the entirety of Part-FCL, for example, and any related AMC’s all still apply and haven’t yet been listed in separate regulations anywhere else?

I need to make some submissions to the CAA for various things and I am not entirely sure which documents I should be referencing.

Thanks
UK Aviation Regulations can be found at: https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-regulations/

I would use that source rather than EASA because although we are pretty much still aligned, we will start drifting at detailed level sooner rather than later. But no, Part-FCL has not been split up or anything like that. I find the UK 'Westlaw' versions in the link a bit cumbersome, but they do a pretty good job of showing what is in force and is not.

The ANO 2016 remains in force and it is essentially a different piece of the legal jigsaw compared to the former EU law. It is not 'aligned' with SERA per se, the two cover different things. For example the UK Rules of the Air 2015 was a 'supplement' to SERA and the legal authority comes down from the ANO. SERA however is made under the Basic Regulation and the applicable Single European Sky Regulations. The legal relationship between the ANO and the retained EU law is pretty much the same as before - leaving the EU has not really altered anything in that regard.

These days (since 2016 really) the ANO mainly just covers non-Part-21 aircraft (ie ex non-EASA), but there still some high level requirements (such as CAA statutory powers, enforcement, endangerment etc) that still apply to everyone and everything in the aviation system.