Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
So - situation is I have a JAR PPL(A) that expired in 2012, with an obviously dead SEP rating.

So , I'll be soon taking the LPC for my rating renewal on a dead JAR... so..

Does it make any sense to get my licence changed to a 'EASA" (I know it's not technically an EASA any more, but you know what I mean..) before, or get the licence and the rating done at the same time - BECAUSE I want to fly myself and my wife at the end of the month.

I know that for initial licence issue, I could fly solo with permission from my instructor, does the same rule apply to a renewal of a rating?

I know I can't fly with a dead licence, but could I fly with passengers with a changed licence and having passed the LPC, or is the rating not valid until I have the piece of paper with the rating on?

And has there been any clue as to when the CAA desk at gatwick will reopen?

thanks in advance

Pete
The licence itself has expired, so as far as I know, you need to do the test for the SEP rating, then apply for a new licence. As far as I know you won't be able to fly until you get the new licence which should be a UK Part FCL licence. You can tick the box for a "UK PPL" at the same time I would think, so you have both just in case.

When did you originally get your PPL? If you have a pre-JAA PPL, or ticked the box for a UK PPL when you originally applied, you can fly on that after renewing your rating, assuming you get it signed.
PeteBC liked this
Facebook would suggest it's running at 2-3 weeks currently and that's if they don't find anything "wrong" with your paperwork or "lose" any of it.

It's that time of year when lots of people are finishing their PPLs or revalidating at the same time...especially after last year, with lots of people having saved some money up, wanting to return to flying after many years away!
PeteBC liked this
PeteBC wrote:Hopefully the CAA are well within the 10 working day process - at least I can submit everything online this time!

Whatever you do, don’t bank on that! It could be a lot lot longer.
PeteBC liked this
Just to try and head off problems, you might need up to three forms:
1104 to convert to FCL
1157 to show SEP renewal passedd (cannot be written in by local examiner in an expired licence)
1199 to show English, as it is likely that you have an 'expired 4' unless you know different.
PeteBC liked this
@MattL that was what was on my mind, is it actually possible to submit all that is required for a jar ppl conversion via an online 1104? For example, the 1157 to show a rating renewal is still paper. Is it scanned and attached? The 1199 language used to be free via a tick box on the 1157, but is now separate form only online, but seems (via the online description) to require a payment when submitted that way - yet shouldn't need a payment if submitted as part of a JAA ppl conversion.
@MattL the 1157 was supposed to be a "two-sides-cover-lots" form as it saved paper & ink, especially if only using it for reval by experience as only page 1 needed. After years, they then more recently introduced one extra section "filled" with one tiny tick box for "PBN" which not only pushed everything to 3 pages (2 for reval by experience) but took away the "language assessed during test" tick box, and I hear many examiners now forget to do it for pilots renewing after years off, all leading to extra work for everyone and delays. The language tick box was free, funnily enough, now it has been squeezed off the 1157 by an over-large new section with one small pbn tick box in it, they want money!
<classical archaeology morbid drift :oops: >

'dead jar' made me immediately think of one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canopic_jar :?

</>
PeteBC liked this
Oh, in tbe spirit of reducing risk of delays:
if they want certified photo-id uploading, it has to be a colour copy- not sure if they mention that
PeteBC liked this