Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By pingoopat
Hi there,

I am about to start training towards a PPL or a LAPL. I know it is possible to upgrade a LAPL to a PPL by going through a slightly more stringent medical and some extra training, but I was wondering how the "downgrade" works.

My current understanding is that LAPL privileges are included in the PPL, and that if for some reason, I was (say) no longer eligible for a class 2 medical but was OK for a LAPL medical, I could still fly within the LAPL with a PPL. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Pat
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Correct!
Lots of over 50s do this as their class 2 auto dissolves into a lapl medical for an extra 12 months beyond the one year validity of their class 2 at that age, so they do it deliberately
By Highland Park
Irv Lee wrote:Correct!
Lots of over 50s do this as their class 2 auto dissolves into a lapl medical for an extra 12 months beyond the one year validity of their class 2 at that age, so they do it deliberately

Exactly what I have done, but rather stupidly I didn't realise that post 31 December 2020, the LAP Medical wouldn't allow trips over the Channel, not that of late it has made a whole heap of difference...

Ian
By Simon_498
I moved from PPL to LAPL following not being able to get a class 2 medical (heart attack).

I had to hand back my PPL licence to CAA to change it to LAPL licence.

Was told you can't have a LAPL medical on a PPL licence, only a LAPL medical on a LAPL licence.

Was easy enough to do and cost around £100
By Highland Park
Simon_498 wrote:I moved from PPL to LAPL following not being able to get a class 2 medical (heart attack).

I had to hand back my PPL licence to CAA to change it to LAPL licence.

Was told you can't have a LAPL medical on a PPL licence, only a LAPL medical on a LAPL licence.

Was easy enough to do and cost around £100

I’m not sure that’s correct. I have a full PPL with a LAPL Medical. It simply means (as I understand it) that I exercise the privileges of a LAPL, which given I fly a Piper Colt (non-Part 21, né Annex II) is perfectly acceptable for my needs.

Ian
By Paul_Sengupta
Highland Park wrote:I’m not sure that’s correct. I have a full PPL with a LAPL Medical

That wasn't an option at the time either.

They've gradually started introducing common sense into licensing. It's only taken 20 years... :D