Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello,

I've recently started doing my PPL and have a current, valid UK Air Traffic Controller's Licence. My instructor said it might be worth looking into whether I can get any dispensation for the radio operator's licence / communication exam... I'm assuming the answer is probably no, but thought I may as well ask!

Thanks
By Fellsteruk
Hey

Good luck with the training, I’m no expert one of them will be along shortly to answer as I’m sure they will know.

However I’m sure you would, I be just applied for my ppl license and FRTOL and one of the questions was something like “do you already have an air traffic control radio license”

Not sure if they are nosy or it gives some form of credit.

Either way the license if requested at time of ppl is free, I’m guessing your RT will be pretty good so even if you did have to take exam I doubt you’d have any issues.
Fellsteruk wrote:Hey

Good luck with the training, I’m no expert one of them will be along shortly to answer as I’m sure they will know.

However I’m sure you would, I be just applied for my ppl license and FRTOL and one of the questions was something like “do you already have an air traffic control radio license”

Not sure if they are nosy or it gives some form of credit.

Either way the license if requested at time of ppl is free, I’m guessing your RT will be pretty good so even if you did have to take exam I doubt you’d have any issues.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, and congrats on finishing your PPL training! Must feel amazing.

Ah fair enough, if they ask that then maybe it's promising... although I didn't realise it was free if applied for at the same time. Like you say, if that's the case, I'm not too bothered either way. Was just trying to save a quid or two!
Fellsteruk wrote:I’m guessing your RT will be pretty good so even if you did have to take exam I doubt you’d have any issues.

Dr Simon Keeling, currently undertaking PPL training at Wolverhampton Intergalactic Spaceport (old forum joke) was terrified he'd cock-up the Met exam. I believe he passed with flying colours and suggested that one of the Q&A was wrong :lol:

@chpmerlin Welcome :thumleft:

Rob P
kanga and 1 others liked this
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My instructor said it might be worth looking into whether I can get any dispensation for the radio operator's licence / communication exam... I'm assuming the answer is probably no, but thought I may as well ask!

You are credited with the PPL communications theoretical knowledge examination towards issue of a FRTOL providing you complete CAA form SRG1162 and the practical examination in accordance with CAP 804 Section 6 Part A page 3 para 3.4.

Whilst you are credited with the PPL communications theoretical knowledge examination for issue of a FRTOL, you are not credited the same examination for issue of the PPL.

Cookie