Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Uptimist
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I haven’t been able to find an answer searching.

A friend has PPL lapsed a fair time ago, as a result of losing class 2 medical, which is unlikely to be found again.

He’s getting on a bit but does meet the criteria for a PMD and would happily fly under its restrictions.

Can a PPL be renewed with only PMD?
By Danny
I don't believe any medical at all is required to do dual training and pass a proficiency check, let alone a PMD . If he were a fresh student pilot without a PPL then itmwould be different. The PMD should be fine for flying afterwards as far as I can tell. The CAA publication " Flight Examiners Handbook" details all the necessary. Hope all goes well for him!

Cheers,

Danny
Irv Lee liked this
By TopCat
Danny wrote:I don't believe any medical at all is required to do dual training and pass a proficiency check, let alone a PMD

For dual training, that's right of course, but is it also true for the prof check, where the pilot would be P1/S?
Danny liked this
By Uptimist
That’s great, thanks guys. I’ll let him know (informally at least) that it looks good, but clearly his school/examiner will need to concur! He’s a 10000hrs pilot, and was gutted when he lost his medical, and hadn’t realised there may be another way. :thumleft:
By Irv Lee
@Paul_Sengupta people have applied successfully without a medical certificate for an easa ppl from a jaa one, I cannot remember if they had a pmd or not, but I suspect it is ok
Using old terms, an expired JAA ppl was legally an easa ppl even though expired so wasn't like it a brand new issue.
Paul_Sengupta liked this