Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Seamas
Hi all.

I can’t find an answer, so does anyone know?

Is there a requirement for a conversion or is there any credit given when seeking a CRI rating given one already holds an FI or FI(restricted) rating.

Thanks
This an area where I suspect CAA FCL section are not very joined up or consistent.

A PPL-holding colleague of mine went through the FI course and, when he applied to have the FI 'rating' added to his licence, asked for the CRI 'rating' to be added at the same time and on the basis of the FI course. His licence came back with both FI and CRI included without quibble or comment.

I've seen a similar question raised by somebody on another thread where he was in the same position but CAA FCL refused to give him a CRI on the basis of his FI course. Quite why I either don't remember or it wasn't stated.

Beyond that I can't offer anything, but good luck with your application.

Edit: you didn't mention which Regulator, I just assumed UK CAA. Other Authorities might act differently (in fact, why would they want any consistency!!).
By Archer_VC10
If you have a FI(A) on your licence, that already covers all the needed priviliges for a CRI. The only difference is that a FI(A) can teach ab-initio students and a CRI can only do conversions to the relevant class. So why would you want a separate CRI SEP rating when you already have a FI(A)?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Archer_VC10 wrote:and a CRI can only do conversions to the relevant class.

That’s just one of the things a CRI can do.
By nickwilcock
Seamas, rather than snipe at the CAA, you could have checked the requirements of FCL.930.CRI:
(a) The training course for the CRI shall include, at least:
(1) 25 hours of teaching and learning instruction;
(2) 10 hours of technical training, including revision of technical knowledge, the preparation of lesson plans and the development of classroom/simulator instructional skills;
(3) 5 hours of flight instruction on multi-engine aeroplanes or an FSTD representing that class or type of aeroplane, including at least 3 hours on the aeroplane, or at least 3 hours of flight instruction on single-engine aeroplanes, given by an FI(A) qualified in accordance with point FCL.905.FI(j).

(b) Applicants holding or having held an instructor certificate shall be fully credited towards the requirement of (a)(1).

Those who meet both FI (A) prerequisites for flight instruction restricted to LAPL(A) only, but also meet CRI(A) requirements, should apply for both certificates upon completion of the FI(A) course.

They may then instruct for the LAPL (as an FI), but also provide post-graduate instruction (e.g. refresher flight training) for holders of higher level licences.
Nick

I think the point is that he already holds an FI 'rating', so is not making a fresh, dual, application.

If he asks CAA to add CRI to his licence, would they do so without asking for a 'course completion certificate' as he has clearly met or exceeded the requirements 'cos they granted him an FI 'rating'?
By Seamas
Nick.
Kemble Pitts, yes that’s it.

Nick. My ‘snipe’ was with regard to inconsistencies; there shouldn’t be any!
I’m aware of the requirements in fcl.930.cri, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

I should have asked my Q in a better way. I wish to instruct on a different Class, specifically SET.
I have an FI rating (SEP) and wish to train on SET and understood I’d need a CRI to do so.

I’ll just keep digging.

Thanks
By Arrow Flyer
You don't need to be a CRI to instruct for an SET class rating, you can use your FI certificate (as long as the aircraft isn't a single pilot, high performance complex aircraft).

FCL.905.FI and FCL.915 are the regulations to read.
Last edited by Arrow Flyer on Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Archer_VC10
Aaahhh, didn't realise you were looking for a different class. And apologies for simplifying the CRI privileges, should have read up on that aspect before posting.
By jaycee58
Looks like I need some clarification as well as I'm confused. I became an FI(R) last September but my CRI rating expired at the end of August and is now on the back of my licence. The HoT where I'm instructing says I cannot do anything without the supervision of another FI. Not just ab initio where I clearly require a supervising instructor but also for things that I would have done as a CRI. I've turned down a few SEP revalidation jobs because of this as it would have meant flying from an airfield where no supervising instructor was available.

So, can I still use CRI privileges to do SEP revalidations etc without supervision (the time obviously wouldn't count towards becoming an unrestricted FI) or will I need to renew my CRI rating. Any ideas, please?
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
See if CAA will process a renewal based on your FI(R) AoC.

Renewal of a CRI certificate requires training at an ATO plus an Assessment of Competence with a FIE in accordance with FCL.940.CRI (c). You will also need a Course Completion Certificate from an ATO for your CRI refresher training completed prior to the AoC.

Cookie
jaycee58 liked this