Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Danny
I'm sorry to have to ask but I have done as much research through threads and the CAA website as possible and due to extreme confusion need to clarify the following (I'll try to keep it simple)-

My licence has written on it

EUROPEAN UNION......FLIGHT CREW LICENCE.....Issued in accordance with Part-FCL.

I have just revalidated my expired SEP by proficiency check without medical as it had expired.
The test was successful thankfully and I was under the impression that I can now make a PMD and fly on the above licence. This prompted some discussion amongst other flyers who may not be aware of the recent changes and , being a cautions chap, I have spent hours this morning reading Flyer threads, CAA website and Irv's stuff.

It certainly seems I'm ok to PMD to fly PA28s on this licence (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I happened upon this text in the CAA guidance that I just can't get my head around.

-----------------------------------

Licences issued in accordance with the retained UK Part-FCL as amended by Aviation Safety (EU Exit) Amendment (SI 2021/10):

UK Part-FCL PPL to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft.UK Part-FCL LAPL to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft.

Valid for flying with the following operational conditions:

Holders of a UK Part-FCL PPL or LAPL licence can only make a pilot medical declaration to the at or less than 2000kg MTOM criteria as they are limited to the privileges of the LAPL.
The privileges of the UK Part-FCL LAPL are as follows:

a)    Stated in FCL.105.A(a), act as Pilot-In-Command (‘PIC’) on single-engine piston aeroplanes-land or Touring Motor Gliders (‘TMG’) with a maximum certified take-off mass of 2,000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of 3 passengers, such that there are never more than 4 persons on board the aircraft

----------------------------------------

The troublesome sections are in bold (my bold).

Any guidance apart from "do more research" most welcome. Irv's PMD table seems to be quite clear on the matter but this section is puzzling me, especially "Holders of a UK Part-FCL PPL.......as they are limited to the privileges of the LAPL" Not in itself a problem for me, I just need to know what this means as I can find no reference to it anywhere else in any threads or guidance. And if I don't understand that, what else have I missed?

Kind regards,

Danny
I think you may be over thinking this - I may have misunderstood your point but the meaning of the text in bold is that you are limited to the privileges of the LAPL (as outlined further on below the bold text) if you have a Part-FCL licence + PMD. So you just need to make sure you do not exceed those privilege limitations.

It does not change much re the privileges on PMD, since you are always limited to max four people onboard regardless of aircraft mass or licence held and normally UK only as well. There are a few additional potential privileges on an ANO Licence (as opposed to Part-FCL), for example you can use your IMC rating if you have one and subject to the additional medical criteria, could also fly an aircraft between 2000 kg and 5700 kg.

FWIW I would not spend too much time reading threads etc, because the information goes out of date so quickly.

The current situation is certainly ripe for rationalisation, but the CAA medical page https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/Pilot-licences/Medical-requirements/Medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/ looks to be updated to reflect the current situation.
Danny, JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Miscellaneous
Some may be interested in an email circulated by Sophie O'Sullivan.

Sophie O'Sullivan wrote:We have received feedback relating to the printable self-declaration confirmation page in the Cellma medical system.

The printable self-declaration confirmation page does not include the pilot’s name and/or unique reference number and is therefore not visibly associated with the pilot.

While there is no legal obligation to carry the medical self-declaration page, we understand that some pilot’s wish to keep this with their licence for the purposes of evidencing their credentials. In addition, we do appreciate some pilot training organisations providing self-hire perform a basic check of the pilot’s credentials as part of due diligence.

We therefore propose that the pilot print and countersign the medical self-declaration page with the following:

‘I confirm this pilot medical declaration print out is applicable to me and is correct’

Print Name

CAA Reference Number

Sign

Date

This will link the self-declaration approval to the pilot and enable a check of the signature against that of the pilot’s licence for assurance purposes if required.

In addition to this written communication, we will also be providing confirmation of this process on the CAA website.
Danny liked this
By Danny
Excellent thank you. Out of interest ( and because I'm a buffoon) is there any way to withdraw a declaration made in error? I accidentally declared to the higher weight initially. The only way I can see to withdraw an incorrect one is to declare that you no longer meet the medical criteria...I AINT DOING THAT...NOOOO WAY!
By Danny
Thanks Dodo. That is in fact what I have ended up doing. Somewhere in the CAA bumpf it does state that a pilot wishing to change to a different declared weight should first of all withdraw the unwanted one. Seems simple enough but the only way I could see on Cellma to withdraw it was to declare that I no longer meet the medical requirements for the higher weight ( which is untrue as the only reason I'm declaring to the lower weight is that I have a Part FCL licence, as above). However, I think with this thread I can prove due diligence and reasonable excuse! As Edward said before, I'm probably overthinking it on this too.

Cheers,

Danny
By Danny
Indeed it does unless your licence is a Part FCL PPL as those seem to be restricted to LAPL privileges when using a PMD, thus cannot declare to the higher weight as LAPLs are limited to the lower weight limit.... I think.....
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The licence and medical are only loosely related. I don't see there's anything stopping you from declaring that you're fit to fly anything up to 5700kg, but then restrict yourself to 2000kg because that's all your licence allows.

You could get a CAA Class 2 which allows you to fly 5700kg but if your licence doesn't allow it, you can't do it.

P.S. That could be another quick CAA EASAexit win, unrestricting the full ICAO UK PPL from LAPL privileges.
Danny liked this
By Danny
Thanks Paul, sounds like common sense and I suppose why FD said its a Licencing rather than Medical question. I shall carry on and go flying when the weather allows.

Many thanks

Danny