Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
That's the question really, any answer / reference to the relevant regulation, will be read with interest and gratitude.

I *probably* don't need to, but I'd just like to know in case any obscure set of conditions aligns that makes the question relevant at some point this year, before I get a new UK-FCL licence and UK-MED medical issued.

G
Why would you be interested in this?

Until the end of 2022 your EASA licence (Soli'd or otherwise) can be used to fly G-Reg aeroplanes.

Your old CAA licence (the brown one) is not usable. Why on earth they decided that they needed to be reissued when they are so busy and poorly set up to deal with yet another wave of licences that need to be validated and reissued, god only knows.

Pragmatic would have been to just state they were valid as long as they were accompanied by a receipt for a payment of whatever to whomever.
Why am I interested?

Because I have separate and current UK/national and IAA/EASA CPLs, and at this precise minute the UK has an IR on it (finally!), and the EASA one doesn't (although should have fairly soon). Also the UK CPL has embedded IMCR privileges - in non-part 21 aeroplanes at-least, whilst the EASA licence does not. At my last medical I got an Irish/EASA class 1, and FAA class 1, but didn't get a UK medical as well (maybe an oversight, at that point I didn't think I'd have any need for a UK medical for the time being).

I don't disagree about CAA/DfT mishandling of national licences, but that's the reason I asked the question. If, say, I want to fly an approach this weekend, I can only do so if I can apply my EASA medical to my UK licence (and it's in a non part 21 aeroplane): yes okay, an obscure set of circumstances, but not impossible as when it's serviceable my employer owns an IFR capable Bulldog, and I could come up with other circumstances without having to think too hard about it.

G
Paul_Sengupta wrote:You can use the IMC rating on a PMD.

I had to think hard about that, but thanks, that may prove useful. So when DfT allow national licences to be used IFR in part 21 aeroplanes again, or now in non-part21 if I get a PMD, I can use that with my CPL IMCR privileges, so long as I'm not doing any professional flying requiring a class 2 or class 1 medical. Probably?

Having SOLId my licence to Ireland, I no longer have an IR(R), as CAA never showed it on my national CPL, those privileges being embedded in that. When I get a new UK-FCL licence, that'll be another thing to solve, depending upon whether I really need to (if the not-yet-seen DfT ruling on flying part 21 aeroplanes on national licences permits IFR, then there'll be no point as I'll have those privileges non-expiring anyhow.)

Handy, if convoluted.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:: "sod it, I'm going for lunch".

A perfectly rational response to most licencing problems these days, to be fair.

G

Ain’t that the truth :D
@Genghis the Engineer I SOLIed in 2018. May I ask when you got your EASA medical? I think this may determine the answer. At the beginning of 2020 my French class 2 was accepted (Emailed together with the DGAC application form/paperwork) by the UK CAA aeromedical dept to update my medical records for my UK (ICAO) PPL and is good for 2 years from that date. I cant see why if you got your medical before 31/12/2020 you could not do the same and hence fly on that licence. If you got your EASA medical after 1/1/2021 then I dont know, but I am sure the CAA aeromedical dept will give you the right info and explanation if you call them.

If you do call them, Id be interested to know their answer to you for obvious reasons, so please post what they say here. :thumleft:

Regards, SD..
I got my EASA medical, from a UK AME with the right approvals, in March this year. That in itself opens various options up as he may be able to issue a UK class 1 as well, but as you say, no harm in asking Gatwick directly and see what they say.

So I've sent this:-

Dear CAA medical department,

I am a pilot holding a UK national (not UK-FCL at this time) CPL, and a separate SOLId-out EASA CPL, with associated EASA class 1 medical.

I have in place the required exemption permitting me, as a former UK EASA licence holder, to fly G-reg aeroplanes on my EASA licence and medical.

Right now, I do not have a separate UK part-med medical. Do I require a separate UK medical in order to exercise the privileges of my national licence, or am I allowed to use my EASA class medical + certificate of validation (which lists both my EASA licence and medical), with that national licence?

--
----

Yours in aviation,

G

G