Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hello everyone,
So I have been thinking about becoming a pilot but I'm worried about my eyesight. I thought I would ask on some forums first before getting an appointment to see if I have any chance at all. So my prescription is kind of awful:
Sph Cyl
R. -5,75D -1.5
L. -4,00D -3,0

So the SPH part actually improved which makes me sit under the limit stated by EASA (-6), but my astigmatism is pretty high specially on the left eye. Although I have read you can possibly still get a class 1 if you go above the limits, I was not really relieved by some tropics about such things on websites.

Anybody who was in a similar situation or has any advice? Both my eyes are corrected to 20/20 and I have 120% vision with these glasses (I was told this by Specsavers).

Also why does EASA even have these limits while the FAA allows people from the USA to fly with -10D as long as correctable to 20/20 over Europe? Kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Thanks for any responses! :D :thumright: :thumleft:
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome to these shores!

The only way to find out if you pass your initial with your eyes is for you to have a Class 1 assessment.

You can opt to do the eyes bit seperately with Adrian Chorley, aviationvision is his business called IIRC. Just google him.

There is no point to discuss why the FAA has different standards as it is an EASA medical you want.

Good luck, let us know how you got on.

I am an EASA and UK CAA Class 1 AME working at an AeMC.
Danny liked this