Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By andyhill296
Hi all.

New to the Forum.
I've been flying since 1988.
I currently power fly using an NPPL.
I have flown with a motor gliding rating and I added SSEA to it,
The motor glider rating was renewed in December by a bi-annual.
I couldn't do the SSEA as the instructor wasn't qualified.
I am looking to renew my SSEA. The FAQ's on the NPPL website stated renew by test with an examiner.
When I spoke to the guy who wrote the rules for the NPPL. He said no. It was a flight with an instructor.
I obviously have a current NPPL motor gliders.
For my conversion to SSEA, it was done with an instructor. Why are they now saying I need to fly with an examiner?
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Especially as I take ownership of a Jodel on the 1st of May.
Thanks.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Andy, have a look at Note 6 here. You may already have met the requirements for SSEA Revalidation by Experience, regardless of your Instructor's own Ratings. You could - if you meet the requirements in the table - get an "SSEA Examiner" to sign your Rating revalidation without further flying.

The problem arises if your SSEA Rating has now expired, in which case it is a Renewal rather than a Revalidation.

By MattL
Yes you do - from NPPL website. I think the person you spoke to was talking about the revalidation by experience rules.

Q How can I revalidate a Class Rating that is no longer valid?

A Ratings that have not been revalidated before their expiry date cannot be revalidated after it. Instead, the rating can be renewed by a General Skills Test with an examiner. If expired bymore than 5 years, that Test includes an oral theoretical knowledge examination.
By Arclite01
Hi Andy

You might want to try Clacton - they have a Lady examiner there (can't remember her name) who is very good at all the paperwork and is an Examiner & Instructor so 2 birds with 1 stone (so to speak).

Sometimes she will come up to Rougham (by arrangement) to do the test.

Regards

Arc
By Kestrel19
The part that doesn’t quite make sense in the regulations here is that if Andy had never held an SEP class rating on his NPPL but had a valid SLMG then he could fly with a CRI and they could sign off the class rating for initial issue.
However because he has held one previously, to regain it he has to complete a GST with an examiner - I.e The criteria to revalidate are more stringent than the criteria to get the rating in the first place! (He still has a current SLMG)
One of the people responsible for drafting the rule has already said this wasn’t the intention -
Therefore have the LAA had a misunderstanding on the NPPL page or is it really easier to obtain a brand new rating than renew one expired by a month?
By Irv Lee
andyhill296 wrote:I will have to try and get hold of an examiner in Suffolk.
From what I have read, the difference training to a new rating can be signed off by an FI.

Initially Slmg to ssea or vice versa is FI training, no test, but the new rating has to be applied for, issued, and has to be kept valid to be used. When you have 2 (or 3) valid ratings, you can cross count hours for revalidation (as long as at least one hour of the 12 is in each) and ask for a joint revalidation but the moment one expires, that one needs a renewal test, in this case a GST (handling test) with examiner
Kestrel19 wrote:The part that doesn’t quite make sense in the regulations here is that if Andy had never held an SEP class rating on his NPPL
it took 2 years (2002-2004) for the caa to realise you can't have an sep rating on an nppl.
By andyhill296
Hi Irv.

Could I have asked the instructor who flew with me in December to sign both off at that time?
I more than met all renewal requirements for my Motor glider rating and SSEA.
The instructor who flew with me is rated on motor gliders only.

I haven't tried Crowfield as yet.

I am taking delivery of a Jodel D112 this Saturday. The owner and instructor is flying in to deliver.
The instructor is Tom Twyman. SFO at Titan.
I cannot find any info on him. I have been told he is an Examiner.
Any assistance with the contact details?
Thanks
By Irv Lee
andyhill296 wrote:Hi Irv.

Could I have asked the instructor who flew with me in December to sign both off at that time?
I more than met all renewal requirements for my Motor glider rating and SSEA.

Possibly...
Depends on his certificates, I'm afraid. There is a certificate which I have which allows me to sign all national ratings - I think it is called a revalidation examiner or something like that.
By andyhill296
Just reading this thread that I have attached below. It shows a ay to re-instate my licence single seat wise and then carry out another flight with an FI to upgrade to flying passengers etc.

Hi,

I am an FI(A) with FCL.945 privileges. I've come across someone with the following:

UK NPPL with SSEA and Microlight ratings. I'm only concerned with the SSEA rating. The gent has done the required hours to revalidate the rating, with the exception of the hour flight with an instructor. Could someone check my understanding now please?

1. I can revalidate the SSEA with a 'single seat only' restriction
2. To remove that restriction, the person concerned will only need an hour 'refresher training' with an FI or examiner, in a non-single seat aircraft.
3. The SSEA rating can then be re-written without the restriction by an 'examiner', using the expiry dates from the original (restricted) revalidation.
4. the 'examiner' can be a PPL Examiner or an FI(A) with FCL.945 privileges

I'd be grateful for any help! Got a cold towel wrapped round my head and I'm still at risk of imploding!

Thanks
User avatarChris Thompson
Re: Removal of an NPPL SSEA 'Single seat only' restriction
Post by Chris Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:25 am

I believe you are correct.

CAP804 states:

3.9.1.1 Where the holder has not undertaken the skill test or the flying training specified in b) iii) above a certificate of revalidation may be issued but must be endorsed “single seat
only”
Nils Jamieson
Post by Nils Jamieson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply Chris. Have since checked with Jon Cooke - seems 1,2,3 above are indeed correct but the reval can only be signed by an examiner, not an FI with FCL945...

Still a useful way of stopping a revalidation turning into a renewal for anyone who's got the hours but hasn't managed a flight with an FI due to Covid etc.
User avatarChris Thompson
Post by Chris Thompson » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:45 am

All LAA Coaches are "R" examiners in addition to any FIE.
JAFO liked this