Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Which is why I wrote "a valid medical" , which these days means either a Part-MED medical certificate or a Pilot Medical Declaration.......

An initial explanation of what you have apparently now deemed to be a new classification of the term “a medical,” would have saved me the query, and you, the further explanation.

And the question “should I opt for a medical or a PMD?” is now impossible to answer.
By RadBoy
Arrow Flyer wrote:It's a much cut down version of the PPL skill test. The test schedule is here if you'd like to see what we're testing: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=534

As long as the rating is on the front of your licence the Examiner can renew it immediately, there is no fee due to the CAA. If the rating has been moved to the back as a rating previously held, then the CAA would need to re-print the licence and they'd charge a fee.

Apologies for a possible thread hijack.
I was in the position that I wanted to renew a lapsed SEP(L) rating that expired on 2019. I and my examiner assumed that appropriate refresher training and a LPC would be required with my examiner revalidating my rating on my licence (section Xll) on the front of my part-FCL PPL licence and I would be ready to legally fly.
This was done and Form SRG 1157 was completed and submitted to the CAA.
Now the problem.
The CAA licensing dept have informed me that forms SRG1119C, SRG2199, SRG1107 would need to be completed and submitted along with a certified copy of my licence, a certified colour copy of my passport and that I would have to pay a fee of £93 for the privilege of the CAA processing the forms in order for my rating to be renewed.
My Question(s)
Which form(s) should be required and should I need to pay?
Most importantly, Am I legally allowed to fly now that my rating has been revalidated by my examiner or do I need to wait until informed by the CAA? :?
SRG 1157 is all that's required. You can legally fly.

Flight Examiners Handbook Table 4B:

If licence action is required by the CAA, copies of both SRG1119 (B or C as applicable) and SRG 2199 are required to be completed and submitted as indicated on the forms. Where no licence action is required, and the examiner is able to complete the revalidation/renewal in the field by signing the licence, SRG1157 should be used and a copy forwarded to the CAA.
By RadBoy
Thank you.
That’s how we understood it from reading the information contained in the CAA flight crew standards document 14, version 7 (Guidance for Examiners and Information for Pilots of Single Pilot Aeroplanes) and contradicts what the licensing department are insisting that we need to do.
As Paul_Sengupta said, I think the CAA have a firm grasp of the wrong end of the stick!
By js11
Just wondering if anyone is aware if the alternative re-validation requirements in ORS4/1484 & 1485 are likely to be extended beyond 31st July? As someone who wasn't able to fly for about 5 months of my second year due to the various lock-downs, accumulating a full 12 hours may still be a challenge and I was hoping the exemption might have gone on for a bit longer.
I guess there is always the option of a proficiency check if it starts to look doubtful that I'm going to get there...
By js11
Hi Irv, not particularly. I’d need another 4 hours (P1) by the end of this month to take advantage of the extension (which is unlikely to happen in my particular circumstances). Failing that, I’d need to fly another 7 or 8 hours before November which should be possible if I’m lucky with weather/aircraft availability etc.
By Irv Lee
As I think you said, prof checks should not be feared if it saves a lot of money in flying to build hours to 12, but of course if you have interesting things to do in those hours, different story.
I think some others think a sep prof check is similar to initial test, which it isn't, and they will do anything at any cost to avoid it. My first call for flying after 9/11 was "hello, you don't know me, I have been living in the middle east and just arrived in tbe UK, I have to do 12 hours by end of October, can I rent an aircraft"....