Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
nickwilcock wrote:
Note that neither extend the validity period of pilot licence holder' class rating(s)!!

That's the bit I can't understand. Why does CAA have a particular 'twitch' about people with lots of hours but who have a validity deadline that expires on or before 31 March? If they have the hours then, arguably, they are more current (read safer) than those without the necessary hours.

I've had several people contact me for 'revalidation' that I can't help becuase of this.

Just doesn't make sense.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Kemble Pitts wrote:
nickwilcock wrote:
Note that neither extend the validity period of pilot licence holder' class rating(s)!!

That's the bit I can't understand. Why does CAA have a particular 'twitch' about people with lots of hours but who have a validity deadline that expires on or before 31 March? If they have the hours then, arguably, they are more current (read safer) than those without the necessary hours.

I've had several people contact me for 'revalidation' that I can't help becuase of this.

Just doesn't make sense.

Well I think such a thing would be a separate exemption to this, this deals with the <12 hours (but don't expect a separate exemption, I have always thought there won't be one). I have been given the hint that the particular statement making it clear that the expiry date does not move is because certain people have been reading certain posts here. Eg viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117744&p=1833398#p1833398
@Irv Lee I think there is a general lesson for the future from all this that:

1) once you’ve fulfilled the requirements get a reval by experience signature without waiting

2) if you’ve met the hours in your second year, get the instructor hour done ASAP and get the reval signature asap.

As well as COVID I keep dealing with people who delay and then run into aircraft/weather/medical/work/family dramas that cause them to expire when they could have got it in the bag when the going was good.
GrahamB, JAFO liked this
I have been given the hint that the particular statement making it clear that the expiry date does not move is because certain people have been reading certain posts here.

Nope, it's there because I asked the right people at the CAA to include it!

There have been so many enquiries about validity extension and misunderstandings arising from the previous ORS4 exemption that it was essential to spell it out to people in the new one.
kanga liked this
nickwilcock wrote:.., it's there because I asked the right people at the CAA to include it!

:thumright:

Once again, a guru of one of the representative organisations (both of the regulations and of the right regulatory people whose ears need to be bent) gets something done which helps both members (whose subs alone support such efforts) and (many) non-members. Of course:

a. there are comparable gurus in the other GA organisations (and none) doing similar good things; and
b. some might argue that this sort of thing should not have to be needed; although, in this case, it was to clarify the limits of a CAA proactive initiative intended to be, and being, helpful to GA pilots during the current extraordinary circumstances

But it illustrates (again) to me why all in GA (actively as I no longer am, or simply caring about it) should be members of at least one such organisation. To snipe at their perceived shortcomings without being a member of any seems to me to be a bit unfair

</rantlet :oops: >
MachFlyer, JAFO liked this
Hi all, can someone clear this up for me. My situation is my sep rating expired July 2020, due to COVID I couldn’t get up and fly, now what is the process to get a new rating. In the 12 months preceding the expiry i flew 40+ hours p1.

Thanks in advance.
Ah I see, is this pretty much another skills test with the skills test fee?! Do the CAA take a while processing the revalidation like the initial issue of a license? All my previous hours are still valid once my sep is renewed?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MattL wrote:You need to do training as required with an FI or DTO/ATO and then complete a SEP proficiency check with an Examiner

Training could also be done with a CRI.
MattL liked this
It's a much cut down version of the PPL skill test. The test schedule is here if you'd like to see what we're testing: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=534

As long as the rating is on the front of your licence the Examiner can renew it immediately, there is no fee due to the CAA. If the rating has been moved to the back as a rating previously held, then the CAA would need to re-print the licence and they'd charge a fee.
Joshcrane liked this
Ah I see, is this pretty much another skills test with the skills test fee?! Do the CAA take a while processing the revalidation like the initial issue of a license? All my previous hours are still valid once my sep is renewed?

1. Not a Skill Test.
2. Not a revalidation.
3. No requirement for the CAA to 'process' anything.
4. Your flight time is valid indefinitely, assuming that if claimed PIC time, you held a valid SEP Class Rating.

It's quite probable that you won't need much refresher training - simplest way is to go to your local flying training organisation (DTO or ATO), speak to the CFI / HoT and let him/her know that you need an SEP Class Rating Renewal Proficiency Check. There'll be some forms to fill out, the Examiner will need to be paid but as soon as you've finished the Check you can be signed up and will be good to go - assuming you have a valid medical you can start flying as PIC again.
Joshcrane, T67M liked this