Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By A319
Does anyone know what is needed to resurrect a lapsed instructor rating? We are talking very lapsed - around 22 years!
By oldbiggincfi
A319 wrote:Does anyone know what is needed to resurrect a lapsed instructor rating? We are talking very lapsed - around 22 years!

A lot of hard work and about £6000
By F70100
If it's not already valid, revalidate/renew your SEP.

Attend a 2 day Instructor Seminar.

Attend an ATO. There's no minimum number of hours retraining required, just sufficient to be able to pass the test.

Pay CAA & wait...

I went through this process in 2019 with a 26 year lapsed Group A (as it was then, now SEP) and Instructor Rating. Had been flying CAT in the meantime. Did 8.7 hrs including tests. Total cost including seminar, flying, test fees, CAA fees was £2800.
A319, Stampe liked this
By A4 Pacific
condor17 wrote:If you are not already , declare yourself ' Self Employed ' .
Any costs associated with any exams to getting it back can be declared as allowable against tax ..

rgds condor .

How does one declare oneself ‘Self Employed’?

Asking for a friend! :roll:
By MattL
In short: get a separate bank account otherwise it gets real messy, start recording a simple balance sheet of in/out transactions and start doing a tax return for self employment if you don’t already. Unless your affairs are very simple I strongly advise seeing an accountant or suitably qualified bookkeeper.
lobstaboy liked this
By condor17
A4 , I rang the taxman and NI people , and got appropriate paperwork .
I'm not on big earnings [ part time FI ] , so have kept it simple as I believe a 'sole trader ' .
Had a short evening in the the pub with a friendly young accountant , my rounds and a thank you .

Hope this helps ,
rgds condor .