Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Hi

I’ve been somewhat living under a rock when it comes to licensing so forgive the possibly silly question;

I have an IAA issued EASA ATPL. If I add an SEP to it can I still fly my G-reg PA28 now and for the foreseeable future?

Thanks
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The CAA has allowed EASA licence holders to fly G-Reg aeroplanes until 31/12/2022 so if you have a valid SEP rating then you can for the time being fly a PA28.

Regards, SD..
By GrahamB
skydriller wrote:The CAA has allowed EASA licence holders to fly G-Reg aeroplanes until 31/12/2022 so if you have a valid SEP rating then you can for the time being fly a PA28.

Regards, SD..

Isn't it more subtle than that? IIRC you can fly with an existing rating until it expires, but no later than 31/12/22.

It would also be worth checking whether that applies to ratings that haven't yet been added to the EASA licence.
Thanks. Unfortunately I’m still no clearer on how to proceed.
I’ve email the CAA but fear their answer will be gobbledegook.

Until now I’ve been using my FAA PPL to fly G-reg on a 3rd country waiver. However, if I understand correctly from a previous CAA email, any renewal of this is valid only until June 2021.

What a mess.
This one isn't easy, but as I understand it:

Have you ever held an SEP class rating on your IAA licence? If you SOLI'd to the IAA, did you hold an SEP on the previous licence? It would be useful to know whether it would be initial issue of an SEP that you've never held before (common with integrated courses) or a renewal of a rating you held at some point.

If it's a renewal and the SEP expired less than 3 years ago, you can do training as required with an instructor and then test with an examiner to get the SEP back. An assessment of no training required is acceptable and doesn't need an ATO/DTO. This will be the simplest method. FCL.740 (b)(2)(ii).

If you haven't ever held an SEP, or it's over 3 years, you'll need an EASA ATO/DTO. There are a few in the UK, or you could travel to the EU as Covid rules are relaxed.

As things stand right now, the CAA website states the end date for using an FAA declaration is 20/6/2021. It may change in the meantime if a BASA is negotiated or the derogation is extended. ORS 4 No 1380 is the latest position on this.

Regarding the two year validity, I asked two experienced examiners (FE CPL/IRE) whose advice I trust and they said you can use a rating until 31/12/2022, but not a certificate. So, you're ok to use your SEP/MEP/IR even after revalidation but not an FI/FE/medical. That position is backed up in part by IFEA and published here: https://ifea.uk/news.

Edited: We don't know for sure what will be required beyond 31/12/2022, as things stand and if there's no further deal you will need a UK licence to fly G-reg.

I would love to be able to back up the "you can use a rating" advice but I cannot find it written in legislation. I'm not a member of IFEA or I'd ask this question there. Any other FEs with a different perspective?

I'm sorry that's not as definitive an answer as I'd like to give, but hopefully it's a move in the right direction..
Last edited by Arrow Flyer on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By skydriller
Arrow Flyer wrote:Nobody knows what will be required beyond 31/12/2022, if there's no further deal you will need a UK licence to fly G-reg.

And to avoid further confusion :lol: , if before SOLI you got yourself a UK ICAO licence, that cant currently be used to fly a PA28... :roll:

Regards, SD..
By Irv Lee
Buzzc150 wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately I’m still no clearer on how to proceed.
I’ve email the CAA but fear their answer will be gobbledegook.

Until now I’ve been using my FAA PPL to fly G-reg on a 3rd country waiver. However, if I understand correctly from a previous CAA email, any renewal of this is valid only until June 2021.

What a mess.

Well, national licence holders here wonder why they couldn't fly their usual aircraft last Sumner (legally) but you could. As they now have an exemption themselves til June, it sounds like June is going to be the month we become the best country for GA in the world, doesn't it? I hope they bother to tell us about it before July 1st
Thanks Arrow Flyer for the comprehensive answer.

I used to have an SEP on my U.K. EASA ATPL but it lapsed more than 3 years ago. I’ve been using my FAA PPL since then to fly SEP g-reg.

I believe that since 1/4/21 I can get a CAA ATPL issued again (a kind of reverse osmosis of the SOLI process). I wonder if they would give me my SEP rating back on the basis of recency with my FAA hours on my g-reg pa28 ?
Yes, you can now apply for a UK CAA licence. Unfortunately they won't give you a valid SEP rating, it will be printed on the back of the licence as a rating previously held. It can then be renewed with a UK CAA approved ATO/DTO. It's still training as required (or determination of no training required) then a skill test.

It's important to highlight timescales in this issue process. The CAA position is that as there's a 2 year validation in place they won't be bound by their own SLA to issue the licence. You could in all reality be without a UK licence when 20th June arrives.

You first need to re-acquire a UK CAA medical. This process should be a paperwork exercise and is detailed here: https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Medical/Applying-for-a-UK-medical-certificate-if-you-have-SOLI-transferred-from-the-UK/.

Once you've been issued with a UK medical, you can then apply for a licence as detailed here: https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Non-UK-licences/Conversion-of-an-EASA-flight-crew-licence-to-a-UK-part-equivalent-licence/

Happy to answer a PM/email if that's helpful...