Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think I know the answer to this ("No"); but it's licensing, so assumptions are inevitably going to be fraught with hazard!

If an individual holds a PPL (which will now be a CAA FCL licence), are they - post 1 Jan 2021 - able to fly on a medical from an EASA AME in, say, France?

In other words, will the CAA accept an ICAO Class 2 compliant medical issued by an EASA state?

Whatever the answer, if you have a link to a definitive reference that would be great. Thanks.
By Dave W
Ummm... After that, I think is the likely answer. I'll ask him.

But if it is "before", I suspect he'll still be interested in "after" too for when it comes to renewal time.

Thanks, Irv.
By skydriller
I know for a fact that last year, 2020, the CAA would accept an EASA class 2 medical from a French AME. The reason I know this is because they accepted mine in January/February. You need to Email a copy of the original paperwork the AME filled in and any bloodwork and EGC trace as well as a copy of the Class 2 certificate the AME gives you and the Aeromedical branch will update your records to show a valid medical. At the time I was informed that they would accept an EASA Class 2 from other states with similarly supporting paperwork until 31/12/2020, after that it depended upon any agreements not yet made back then.

In my case I had SOLIed in 2018 and this was accepted for my UK ICAO PPL too... 8)

It would be nice if the CAA accepts an EASA class 2 from France in Jan 2022 for my UK ICAO PPL, and even nicer if by then they would allow said PPL to be used to fly a G-reg Part 21 aeroplane.. :wink:

Regards, SD,.
Dave W liked this
By skydriller
Arrow Flyer wrote:Like other areas, this will last until 31st December 2022.

Thats not what I recall being told. The Aeromedical branch updates your records as having a valid medical with its expiry date etc, 1, 2 or5 years - its not the same as having an EASA licence. Unfortunately my Medical is only valid for 2 years anyway...

Regards, SD..

Edit to add : if it wasnt as I suggest, then in theory any rating or qualification on a UK FCL licence not completed at a UK ATO/DTO would also expire on 31/12/2022... :pale:
By Flyin'Dutch'
@skydriller

The CAA's decision to allow medicals being issued by non UK AMEs to validate medicals between 31/1/21 and 31/12/2022 has nothing to do with the validity of the medical.

In order to be able to use such a medical it needs to be valid itself and the period during which you want to use it has to be between those dates and it needs to have been issued by an AME who was an AME prior to 31/12/20.
@skydriller My post didn't mention anything to do with licences as @Dave W 's question was regarding medicals. Not sure what you were told, but that's the rule now.

There are areas where ratings/certificates valid beyond 31/12/2022 cease to be usable. For instance, my FE is valid until November 2023, but I can't use it to test UK FCL licence holders beyond 31/12/2022 unless I apply for a UK FCL licence.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@skydriller

The CAA's decision to allow medicals being issued by non UK AMEs to validate medicals between 31/1/21 and 31/12/2022 has nothing to do with the validity of the medical.

In order to be able to use such a medical it needs to be valid itself and the period during which you want to use it has to be between those dates and it needs to have been issued by an AME who was an AME prior to 31/12/20.

I think you are saying exactly the same as I am, but in a different way...

At the end of the day, CAA Aeromedical branch is in my experience very knowledgable and will give you a straight answer if you contact them.

Regards, SD..
Last edited by skydriller on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By skydriller
Arrow Flyer wrote:There are areas where ratings/certificates valid beyond 31/12/2022 cease to be usable. For instance, my FE is valid until November 2023, but I can't use it to test UK FCL licence holders beyond 31/12/2022 unless I apply for a UK FCL licence.

But is that not because you have an EASA licence from another EASA state?
(I have one too now, as I said...valid to fly G-reg part 21 until 31/12/22)

If you re-read what I wrote, you will see Im talking about a CAA issued licence but with a rating or qualification obtained in another EASA state while the UK was in the EU and therefore in EASA. For the UK CAA to suddenly not recognise that qualification after up to 10 years after 2022... :pale:

Same thing for a 5yr medical recognised in, say 2019...why would it not be recognised in 2023?
By skydriller
Irv Lee wrote:@skydriller ratings in a licence are in the licence, that's it, there is no question around how they got there, just revalidated or expire/renewed whenever they are meant to.

Thats exactly my point...we are in violent agreement :wink:

Show me how a medical is different? Like I say, for me its irrelevant, but it might make a difference to others.

Regards, SD..
By Flyin'Dutch'
@skydriller It is about politics, not logic, that's the logic.

Why is an FAA Class 3 without an ECG ICAO compliant but a UK Class 2 not, why can you fly with an Icelandic EASA PPL and medical an N-reg in Iceland, but not in the US. Why can you fly that N reg aeroplane, if it is a PA46 with an FAA License in the UK without a type rating but not if it is registered in the UK with a UK licence until you have a Type Rating.

In the end all political decisions.
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@skydriller It is about politics, not logic, that's the logic.

Well yes, the entire world has had a year of that... :wink:

I cannot remember if the 2-year recognition agreement had been announced last year in Jan when I called the CAA Aeromedical people about my French EASA class 2. I do know that I was told that it was acceptable to the CAA for use with my CAA ICAO PPL (even though I SOLIed to France in 2018) and they would update my records to show I had a valid medical until its expiry date etc. Im afraid I didnt have a regulatory discussion with the nice lady, but she definitely didnt say that my medical would expire when the UK left EASA on 1/1/21. I believe it expires in Jan/Feb 2022.

I only commented because others may have a 5-year medical from, say, Austria for their UK issued EASA PPL from Dec 2019 - at least if anyone with such a medical reads this they might just call the CAA now. I wonder what the situation is in reverse - ie a UK EASA medical from 2019 on a French EASA PPL?

Regards, SD..