Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By flyingfarmer
Hi,
I am the holder of a stand alone FAA Private Certificate for fixed wing aircraft. Living in the UK I am permitted to fly "N" Reg aircraft both within the UK and worldwide and also "G" Reg VFR only within UK airspace.
Anyone know if I am permitted to fly "G" reg aircraft abroad?
Thanks
FF
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Are you allowed to fly what we know as Part21 aircraft here of either registration here without a declaration (was validarion) and does that say UK only for G reg or not?
Thanks for replying Irv.
I have been flying EASA type aircraft but not so far this year. I don't have a specific validation as I had been advised that my FAA certificate was valid for G Reg in UK airspace. This may now have changed post Brexit. As legislation is somewhat complex for me I am hoping for an easy answer answer on this forum from some of our learned colleagues.
Again thanks for the reply Irv.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think that an FAA pilot flying either an N reg based in UK or a G reg (talking part21 aircraft) has needed what was a validation since April 2017 and more recently has become a little easier in that no flight with anyone is required, which might be when it was renamed a declaration. I get FAA pilots on my Zoom radio course as it includes UK airspace entities, and that sets them up nicely for the declaration, as it is about understanding those things in particular.
If you look about a third of the way down my one-sheet-catch-up pdf, it mentions G reg on an FAA ppl but I'm pretty sure it applies to FAA on N reg based in the UK, as quite a few were 'embarrassed' at AeroExpo German in April 2017, as it was a surprise EASA present that year and it needed an emergency week long exemption to get them home. It's http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf - it will give the CAA form numbers, plural as you also have to have your licence checked by the CAA against the FAA naughty register.
Also if you haven't got one already, you'd need an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit which is 'merely' money as well, to allow you to use a radio outside USA. You can get one online if you have an FAA licence