Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
For those interested or for whom it has relevance it looks like the CAA have issued the procedure to follow to apply for a UK FCL licence. This is for people who previously held a UK issued EASA licence but SOLI’ed off to a different EASA state and who would now like to hold a separate UK issued FCL licence based on their existing EASA licence.

After the current two-year exemption to fly G-reg on an EU EASA licence ends on 31-12-22 one will need a UK FCL licence to continue doing so.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... e-holders/
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Lots of "UK part FCL" written there in that link.
Is that for flying "Part 21" G-Reg aircraft?

If so I cant help but think that rather than making pilots go through ANOTHER licence application/transfer paperwork exercise with assiciated fees, the CAA could just allow pilots with UK ICAO PPLs to fly Part 21 G-reg aircraft...

I also notice there is a "requirement" to have:

Medical records supporting UK Part-MED certificate must be held on the United Kingdom CAA Medical Records System, including details about changing the state of licence issue.

I seem to recall that SOLI transfers your medical records to another state, do they keep your records? I dont remember them being able to "find" me when I called them to ask about renewing my medical for my UK PPL with a French medical last year... they asked me to Email them my old (still current) medical and then the new medical when I got it... was I an exception?
skydriller wrote:
If so I cant help but think that rather than making pilots go through ANOTHER licence application/transfer paperwork exercise with assiciated fees, the CAA could just allow pilots with UK ICAO PPLs to fly Part 21 G-reg aircraft...

Me neither. Lets just have one UK PPL.

And as its just a paperwork excericse to get a UK Part FCL PPL when you hold a National PPL. There can't be any saftey case.
Last edited by Bathman on Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bathman wrote:Lets just have one UK PPL.

Well, SOLI change from UK to EASA will have effectively shredded a UK issued EASA PPL. If that PPL was issued after around the year 2000 it will have been the pilot's only PPL so this isn't about multiple UK PPLs.

I agree that it would be nice to revert to the old "any ICAO PPL good for VFR" rule but I can imagine the CAA retaining some ammunition in the hope of mutual recognition.
Indeed a lot of unanswered questions and a lot to come out in the wash over the next few months. Amongst the myriad of licences and confusion on the scene now, I think as individuals we just need to look at the one (or more) license(s) that we hold and ask ourselves will that do for what we intend to do. I am pleased that having had to SOLI away for work some years ago, I have maintained my old UK Poo Brown as a back up for my private flying which should cover me for what I ever want to do. For most of us we can probably carry on doing what we always did.

However people who SOLI’ed and do NOT have a UK National licence like an old Poo Brown, I think will not be able to fly G-reg after 31-12-22 and thus the option to buy a UK FCL licence as a carbon copy of their EASA one might be a good (and perhaps only) option.
I have maintained my old UK Poo Brown as a back up for my private flying which should cover me for what I ever want to do

So long the flying you want to do does not involve flying a G-reg Part 21 aircraft. Of course, you could use your EASA (SOLI) licence to fly a G-reg EASA aircraft (or Part 21 by their other name) but, short-term current 12 hour alleviation excepted, you can't fly the very aircraft you learned in to get the poo brown licence using the same poo brown licence :roll:

I use my poo brown licence, with microlight differences 'training', to fly my microlight Eurofox. If I want to fly a C172 I can't use the same licence but, instead, I have to use my EASA ATPL. A more complete shambles I find hard to imagine.
skydriller liked this
low&slow wrote:I agree that it would be nice to revert to the old "any ICAO PPL good for VFR" rule but I can imagine the CAA retaining some ammunition in the hope of mutual recognition.

Im not talking about any old PPL, Im talking about the UK ICAO PPL (poo brown to some) I got off the back of my UK EASA PPL before I SOLIed...

JonBoy wrote:I have maintained my old UK Poo Brown as a back up for my private flying which should cover me for what I ever want to do.

Well right now you cant fly a G-reg PA28 on it... (daft but true).

Dont get me wrong, one part of me thinks its great the CAA are doing this, I just think its really funny that by doing this I will now have 3 PPLs from one - each a paperwork exercise for a fee, and the UK ICAO PPL I got 3 years ago to allow me to fly G-Reg aeroplanes still isnt usable for anything other than homebuilts... surely Im not the only one that thinks this is ironic?

Regards, SD..
PaulSS wrote:
I have maintained my old UK Poo Brown as a back up for my private flying which should cover me for what I ever want to do

So long the flying you want to do does not involve flying a G-reg Part 21 aircraft. Of course, you could use your EASA (SOLI) licence to fly a G-reg EASA aircraft (or Part 21 by their other name) but, short-term current 12 hour alleviation excepted, you can't fly the very aircraft you learned in to get the poo brown licence using the same poo brown licence

Yes, all my private flying is in my non-Part 21 aeroplane so my Poo brown is great for that and always should be. But I will likely buy a UK FCL licence on the back of my EASA one (ATPL) just so that I don’t end up losing what I once had. I always hate the idea of losing hard earned privileges! But at least I know I don’t HAVE to do so and can continue flying my own aircraft regardless.
PaulSS liked this
skydriller wrote:
Dont get me wrong, one part of me thinks its great the CAA are doing this, I just think its really funny that by doing this I will now have 3 PPLs from one - each a paperwork exercise for a fee, and the UK ICAO PPL I got 3 years ago to allow me to fly G-Reg aeroplanes still isnt usable for anything other than homebuilts... surely Im not the only one that thinks this is ironic?

Regards, SD..

Yes, it is good that the CAA are doing this - people had the opportunity to SOLI out if they wished to maintain the option to fly EU registered aircraft, now they have the opportunity to buy an additional “like for like” UK licence back again, needed for them to continue flying G-reg aircraft after 31-12-22.
Indeed it is ironic S.D! I will likely be exactly the same as you - three licences to do what one used to do...! :D
davealvers wrote:Has anyone actually managed to get an application in via elicensing? I keep getting this error when trying to submit. Tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox

The licence product application has not been added to the cart:
The licence product application cannot be added. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

[Helpdesk]
Why don't you just set Object reference to an instance of an object and retry?
[/Helpdesk]
davealvers liked this
davealvers wrote:Has anyone actually managed to get an application in via elicensing?

Im waiting...maybe someone at CAA/Dft(?) will see sense and make my UK ICAO PPL valid on a G reg between now and ????... Currently the G-Reg I have access to here in France can be flown on my French EASA PPL - either until Jan 2022 or Jan 2023 depending upon how the medical thing works? (Or was that French EASA medical on a UK PPL.. :? )

Regards, SD..
Irv Lee wrote:
davealvers wrote:Has anyone actually managed to get an application in via elicensing? I keep getting this error when trying to submit. Tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox

The licence product application has not been added to the cart:
The licence product application cannot be added. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

[Helpdesk]
Why don't you just set Object reference to an instance of an object and retry?
[/Helpdesk]

Funnily enough I believe an email has been sent to the helpdesk (not from me) asking just that! I am on tenterhooks now to find out how one manages to set an object reference to an instance of an object....I've clearly forgotten that bit from the ATPL theory
AlanC, Irv Lee liked this
I also get the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Have emailed them, not holding my breath for a timely response. Hopefully they just need to give their Windows 95 machine a kick on Tuesday morning and all will be good again.

Does anyone know if the CAA intends to extend the ORS4 Validation for EASA licences issued after 1 April? If not, I'm screwed given my work requires me to fly G-reg and there will presumably be a long gap before my UK licence gets reissued.

I'm finding all of this beyond frustrating.